Kiwitt beats Gallagher to claim European strap
- Credit: Archant
The latest boxing news from Islington
Islington welterweight Freddy Kiwitt is the new WBO European champion after superbly winning the vacant belt at York Hall on Friday.
The 28-year-old took on Belfast rival Paddy Gallagher for the strap on a packed MTK Global show at the iconic east London venue.
Kiwitt did not get off to the best of starts as he sustained a cut over his right eye in the first round.
The welterweight, though, gamely battled on before eventually being declared the winner by majority decision.
You may also want to watch:
Also in action on the bill was Islington middleweight Billy Underwood who was fighting for the first time in over two years.
The 21-year-old made his debut in February 2017, but injuries had stopped him from competing again until Friday.
- 1 Harassment trial: MP Claudia Webbe 'threatened to send naked photos of victim to her kids'
- 2 Two rescued from fire in Islington maisonette block
- 3 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 4 Petrol station forecourts closed in Islington amid warning: 'Drafting in the army will not end fuel crisis'
- 5 Hundreds of activists descend on north London incinerator demanding end to rebuild
- 6 Aldi Local to open in Dalston next month
- 7 Eidevall says Arsenal put 'pressure on themselves' to deliver in big games
- 8 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 9 'I was not jealous': MP Claudia Webbe denies harrasment charge
- 10 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
Underwood took on Yeovil rival Bryn Wain at York Hall and was able to claim a points victory to make it two wins from two in the paid ranks.