Liddell’s late score seals Highbury Grove success in Islington schools’ tournament
- Credit: Archant
Jasmine Liddell’s late basket clinched a hard-fought victory for Highbury Grove School Under-14s at the Islington girls’ basketball tournament.
Liddell and team-mate Annie Azzopardi had been on target earlier in the match against EGA School as Highbury Grove opened up a 6-2 lead at half-time.
However, EGA fought back in the second period to tie the game at 6-6 and force extra time, but Liddell scored with just one minute left on the clock to ensure Highbury Grove would be Islington’s representatives at next year’s inter-borough competition.
Highbury Grove: Annie Azzopardi, Taylor Francis, Jasmine Liddell, Jordan Christofis, Frankie Amoah, Tamzin Christofis.
Highbury Grove’s girls’ team emerged victorious in the borough’s Year 7 sports hall athletics competition which has been held over the course of the last month.
You may also want to watch:
The girls took an early lead and extended it to finish on 749 points – a total of 312 clear at the top of the leader board – while Highbury Grove’s boys’ team finished fifth overall.
- 1 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 2 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern
- 3 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 4 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 5 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 6 The Bridge London Trust chief exec Penny Barratt awarded OBE
- 7 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 8 Woman, 48, arrested over fatal stabbing of Islington flower seller
- 9 Increased police presence in Islington after teenager shot in the head
- 10 Man injured in Hornsey Rise shooting