Liddell’s late score seals Highbury Grove success in Islington schools’ tournament
- Credit: Archant
Jasmine Liddell’s late basket clinched a hard-fought victory for Highbury Grove School Under-14s at the Islington girls’ basketball tournament.
Liddell and team-mate Annie Azzopardi had been on target earlier in the match against EGA School as Highbury Grove opened up a 6-2 lead at half-time.
However, EGA fought back in the second period to tie the game at 6-6 and force extra time, but Liddell scored with just one minute left on the clock to ensure Highbury Grove would be Islington’s representatives at next year’s inter-borough competition.
Highbury Grove: Annie Azzopardi, Taylor Francis, Jasmine Liddell, Jordan Christofis, Frankie Amoah, Tamzin Christofis.
Highbury Grove’s girls’ team emerged victorious in the borough’s Year 7 sports hall athletics competition which has been held over the course of the last month.
You may also want to watch:
The girls took an early lead and extended it to finish on 749 points – a total of 312 clear at the top of the leader board – while Highbury Grove’s boys’ team finished fifth overall.
- 1 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 2 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 3 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 4 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 5 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 6 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 7 New free map reveals the best walking routes in Hackney and Islington
- 8 Islington: Housing team failed to answer 50% of calls during lockdown
- 9 Sadiq Khan warns of flooding threat to Islington from climate emergency
- 10 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter