London Lions stars to launch Islington youth event
- Credit: Archant
Star players from London’s only professional basketball team will help to relaunch a popular Islington youth programme later this month at Sobell Leisure Centre.
Six members of the London Lions team, who are based at the Copper Box Arena, will feature in an exhibition match when the inaugural Saturday Night Out takes place on September 27.
The monthly event, for 13 to 19-year-old boys and girls, is a revamped version of the Saturday Night Project that ran in the borough in recent years.
The players will perform a basketball skills exhibition after the match and there will also be competitions and an opportunity for spectators to win free tickets to upcoming Lions games.
Future sessions, which run from 6pm to 10pm, will feature sports such as football, badminton, squash and gymnastics, as well dance and a number of other activities.
You may also want to watch:
Islington community sports officer Steve Heard said: “It’s an inclusive community event and the idea is for young people to have fun in a safe and constructive environment.”
You can gain free entry on September 27 by bringing one of the leaflets with information about the relaunch event that will be sent to households around the borough.
- 1 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 2 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 3 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 4 Spectrum to C5: How Clive Sinclair began the UK’s tech revolution from a house in Islington
- 5 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 6 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 7 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 8 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 9 Council fund boosts plans for Islington 'urban forest'
- 10 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
Alternatively, you can tweet @satnightO. For more information, visit www.better.org.uk/leisure/sobell