London Lions stars to launch Islington youth event
- Credit: Archant
Star players from London’s only professional basketball team will help to relaunch a popular Islington youth programme later this month at Sobell Leisure Centre.
Six members of the London Lions team, who are based at the Copper Box Arena, will feature in an exhibition match when the inaugural Saturday Night Out takes place on September 27.
The monthly event, for 13 to 19-year-old boys and girls, is a revamped version of the Saturday Night Project that ran in the borough in recent years.
The players will perform a basketball skills exhibition after the match and there will also be competitions and an opportunity for spectators to win free tickets to upcoming Lions games.
Future sessions, which run from 6pm to 10pm, will feature sports such as football, badminton, squash and gymnastics, as well dance and a number of other activities.
You may also want to watch:
Islington community sports officer Steve Heard said: “It’s an inclusive community event and the idea is for young people to have fun in a safe and constructive environment.”
You can gain free entry on September 27 by bringing one of the leaflets with information about the relaunch event that will be sent to households around the borough.
- 1 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern
- 2 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 3 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 4 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 5 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 6 The Bridge London Trust chief exec Penny Barratt awarded OBE
- 7 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 8 Increased police presence in Islington after teenager shot in the head
- 9 Woman, 48, arrested over fatal stabbing of Islington flower seller
- 10 Man injured in Hornsey Rise shooting
Alternatively, you can tweet @satnightO. For more information, visit www.better.org.uk/leisure/sobell