Name the England team that beat Belgium in the last 16 of the 1990 World Cup
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
How many players do you remember from Sir Bobby Robson’s team which captured the hearts of the nation at Italia 90?
David Platt’s late winner against Belgium saw England advance to the quarter-finals of the 1990 World Cup, but how much do you remember about the match?
Despite only scoring twice in the group stages, England topped their group ahead of the Republic of Ireland and the Netherlands to set up a tie against Belgium in the last 16 of the tournament.
Platt found the net again in the quarter-final against Cameroon before the African team scored twice only to concede two penalties.
Gary Lineker converted both to put England through to the semi-finals for the first time in 24 years.
You may also want to watch:
There were tears in Turin - mostly belonging to Paul Gascoigne in the course of a heart-breaking semi-final defeat to West Germany after Stuart Pearce and Chris Waddle missed in the penalty shoot-out.
- 1 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 2 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 3 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 4 Police looking to speak to man in connection with sexual assault
- 5 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 6 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 7 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 8 'Islington drivers – you don't always need to overtake cyclists'
- 9 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 10 Covid delays Finsbury Park murder suspect's bail hearing