London youngster top of the medals table at British Championships
- Credit: Archant
Nine-year-old Luan Veras topped the individual medals table with an outstanding performance at the British International Open Championships in Glasgow.
The youngster won two individual gold medals and a silver – as well as joining forces with his brother Liam to collect two more medals in the team events.
The brothers were both competing for Veras Academy, which is run by their father Raphael, with regular training sessions taking place at venues in Islington, Camden and Kilburn.
Luan collected a gold medal in the boys’ fight category (9 years), gold in the boys’ kata (9 years) and silver in the boys’ open fight (7-9 years), while Liam took silver in the boys’ kata (8 years).
The duo won gold in the pairs’ team fight (7-9 years) and silver in the pairs’ team kata (7-9 years) – while their younger brother, six-year-old Luca, claimed a silver medal in the boys’ fight (7 years).
You may also want to watch:
There were three further medals for the Veras Academy squad, who placed fifth overall out of 64 clubs, with 15-year-old Charlie Husset taking gold in the learning disability kata section.
Senior fighters Shaida Khaliq (female veteran kata) and Nicole Hussey (female veteran fight) both won bronze medals, while 16-year-old Andrew McLarney was unlucky not to add another to the collection after a strong performance in the male junior fight (under-61kg).
- 1 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 2 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 3 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 4 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 5 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 6 Sadiq Khan warns of flooding threat to Islington from climate emergency
- 7 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 8 Letters on People Friendly Streets in St Peter's
- 9 New free map reveals the best walking routes in Hackney and Islington
- 10 Islington: Housing team failed to answer 50% of calls during lockdown
For details of training times or other information about Veras Academy, visit www.verasacademy.co.uk.