Cricket: Middlesex ‘not playing well enough’ admits captain Malan
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Middlesex captain Dawid Malan admitted his side are not playing well enough, following their innings and 50 run loss to Sussex at Lord’s.
James Harris (80) and John Simpson (76) put up a fight on the final day of their County Championship Division Two match, but Ollie Robinson (7-98) was the matchwinner for the visitors in the final hour.
And Malan moaned: "It's been the story of our season. We've got the result we wanted with the toss, we just haven't been good enough.
"Collectively we're not playing well enough and we're not creating those partnerships we need with bat or ball.
"Because we won the Championship in 2016, that doesn't mean the team we've got now should be winning games. We've got different players, we've lost experienced players and we've got players at different stages of their careers.
You may also want to watch:
"That's part of why (head coach) Stuart Law's been brought in. He's now had a good look at what we've got and he's able to stamp his authority on how he wants us to play.
"We haven't played good cricket for two and a half years, that's evident from our results but sometimes you have to take a step back to take two forward. I think we're in that transition period where we're trying to find the combinations and get people back to where they need to be."
- 1 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 2 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 3 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 4 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 5 Disused Holloway garages converted into garment-making workspace
- 6 Prince Edward visits youth centre in Islington
- 7 Why Arsenal's Leah Williamson is perfect England captain?
- 8 Environment and equality at heart of council leader's new direction for Islington
- 9 Sadiq Khan urged to denounce £1.2bn Edmonton incinerator
- 10 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant