Marksman mows down Tazik for dramatic debut victory

Aarron Morgan

Aarron Morgan - Credit: Archant

Aarron ‘The Marksman’ Morgan made a thrilling start to his professional career on Friday as he floored opponent Vladimir Tazik in just 72 seconds.

The former Islington BC light-middleweight was scheduled to begin with a four-round contest on manager Mickey Helliet’s show at the Camden Centre, Kings Cross.

But the 25-year-old, a former national novices champion, was celebrating victory less than halfway through the first session after his power proved too much for Tazik.

A punch to the head rocked the Slovakian and Morgan followed up with a thunderous right-hand body shot that convinced referee Ian John Lewis to end the bout.

“As they say, you don’t get paid for overtime, so I just did what I had to do,” Morgan told the Gazette.

You may also want to watch:

“I caught him with a sharp right hand and that stunned him. Then I saw the body shot open and I had to take it. It was the best night of my life – I loved it and I can’t wait for the next one.

“Hopefully I’ll be out again in the new year, maybe at the Camden Centre again. It’s local for my friends and family, so we need to make this our stomping ground.”

Most Read

Earlier on the show, Islington middleweight Joe Duffy maintained his unbeaten record as he outpointed Hungary’s Attila Tibor Nagy for his seventh professional victory.

Duffy made the early running in the six-round contest, unleashing some solid blows to both head and body, while the Hungarian tried to get in close and hit him on the counter-attack.

But Duffy sustained heavy bruising to his right hand in the opening round and Nagy took advantage, catching him with a right uppercut and then a swinging right hook in the third.

However, the Islington boxer began to make better use of his long left jab in the second half of the fight and, despite a cut over his right eye, forced Nagy onto the ropes.

Duffy continued to produce the better work in the closing stages of the contest and he was awarded the decision, 59-56 on points, by referee Richie Davies.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter