Medal rewards for Sobell Judo Club trio
- Credit: Archant
Islington judoka on podium at event in Essex
Three Islington judoka combined to collect four medals from the AEJF Championships in Essex.
The Sobell Judo Club trio produced some excellent performances to make the podium with Sam Sampson taking gold in the under-81kg category.
Sam Charalambous took bronze in the same division, then entered the open weight category and picked up a silver medal after fighting opponents almost twice his own weight.
Karl Summerbell, who has special needs, added another bronze after some valiant displays, against able-bodied athletes, defying a foot injury sustained in the first round to earn some reward.
You may also want to watch:
Sobell Judo Club trains on Mondays and Wednesdays at the Sobell Leisure Centre. See sobelljudoclub.com for more details.
- 1 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 2 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 3 Council fund boosts plans for Islington 'urban forest'
- 4 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 5 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 6 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 7 Spectrum to C5: How Clive Sinclair began the UK’s tech revolution from a house in Islington
- 8 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 9 Parliament Square demo: Protesters call on government to end cladding crisis
- 10 Aristocrat's daughter, 25, died unexpectedly after developing 'severe headache'