Medal rewards for Sobell Judo Club trio
- Credit: Archant
Islington judoka on podium at event in Essex
Three Islington judoka combined to collect four medals from the AEJF Championships in Essex.
The Sobell Judo Club trio produced some excellent performances to make the podium with Sam Sampson taking gold in the under-81kg category.
Sam Charalambous took bronze in the same division, then entered the open weight category and picked up a silver medal after fighting opponents almost twice his own weight.
Karl Summerbell, who has special needs, added another bronze after some valiant displays, against able-bodied athletes, defying a foot injury sustained in the first round to earn some reward.
You may also want to watch:
Sobell Judo Club trains on Mondays and Wednesdays at the Sobell Leisure Centre. See sobelljudoclub.com for more details.
- 1 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 2 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 3 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 4 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 5 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 6 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 7 Hackney photographer captures lockdown 'park life'
- 8 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 9 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension
- 10 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing