Medal success at home and abroad for Islington academy
- Credit: Archant
Holloway teenager Yasmin Campbell continued her excellent run of form as she claimed two silver medals within the space of a week.
The 13-year-old, a member of Islington-based Fighting Fit Fencing Club, finished Under-15 runner-up at the world’s biggest youth competition, the Marathon Fleuret (foil) in Paris.
She then returned across the Channel to repeat that achievement at the Under-17 national championships, held at the University of East London.
Campbell was joined there by Fighting Fit team-mate Dominic de Almeida, who won a bronze medal.
De Almeida, who has just turned 15, also competed in Paris, where he progressed to the last 32 before losing a tense contest against one of the local favourites, 10-9.
You may also want to watch:
Club director Jed Beardmore said: “What an amazing few weeks we’ve had, with Yasmin and Dominic doing so well. We are all immensely proud.
“However, it’s worth remembering that this doesn’t happen by luck – they have both trained four or five nights a week since August.
- 1 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 2 Islington shooting victim named
- 3 Robert Rinder awarded MBE for his work on Holocaust education
- 4 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 5 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 6 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 7 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 8 Big name restaurant hints at Islington opening
- 9 Murder investigation launched after teenager is shot in Islington
- 10 Man injured in Hornsey Rise shooting
“A big thank you must go to our head coach Ludo Sotto, our athletics coach John Herbert, sports psychologist Heidi Ashton as well as our medical team and physiotherapist for all their hard work.
“I also want to mention my fellow director, Sandra – without all her hard work behind the scenes none of this would happen.”
The Caledonian Road club hold regular free taster sessions for both adults and juniors.
Call 020 8368 7834 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.