Memorial match win for Danny’s Boys
- Credit: Archant
Former team-mates and friends joined forces for the annual memorial match for Islington’s Danny Payne.
A minutes silence was held before play and balloons released to mark what would have been Danny’s birthday, before an even first half saw five goals scored.
Danny’s Boys led Team Payne 3-2 at the interval, but an own goal by Terry Martin at a crucial point during the second half proved a turning point.
Captain George Isaac collected the cup as Danny’s Boys ran out emphatic 11-4 winners, before the teams gathered for another minutes silence to remember Mark Bateman, who had been a regular participant in the fixture but sadly passed away in September 2016.
The event was organised by Jamie Payne, Danny’s sister, and all monies raised went towards children’s cancer charities.
You may also want to watch:
“The players turn out year after year and every one of them make it a very special occasion,” she said.
- 1 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 2 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern
- 3 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 4 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 5 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 6 Islington shooting victim named
- 7 The Bridge London Trust chief exec Penny Barratt awarded OBE
- 8 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 9 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 10 Manor Gardens Welfare Trust CEO awarded British Empire Medal