Memorial match win for Danny’s Boys
- Credit: Archant
Former team-mates and friends joined forces for the annual memorial match for Islington’s Danny Payne.
A minutes silence was held before play and balloons released to mark what would have been Danny’s birthday, before an even first half saw five goals scored.
Danny’s Boys led Team Payne 3-2 at the interval, but an own goal by Terry Martin at a crucial point during the second half proved a turning point.
Captain George Isaac collected the cup as Danny’s Boys ran out emphatic 11-4 winners, before the teams gathered for another minutes silence to remember Mark Bateman, who had been a regular participant in the fixture but sadly passed away in September 2016.
The event was organised by Jamie Payne, Danny’s sister, and all monies raised went towards children’s cancer charities.
You may also want to watch:
“The players turn out year after year and every one of them make it a very special occasion,” she said.
- 1 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 2 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 3 Police looking to speak to man in connection with sexual assault
- 4 Home of the metre-long pizza opens in Finsbury Park
- 5 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 6 Disused Holloway garages converted into garment-making workspace
- 7 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 8 Spot the '90s pop stars in the Never Mind the Buzzcocks identity parade
- 9 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 10 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes