Middlesex cricket column: Opening Up with Dawid Malan
- Credit: PA Archive/Press Association Images
We’ve been poor at the start of all competitions this season. In the County Championship we got thrashed at Sussex and then we lost the Twenty20 double header.
So we need to rock up and be right on the ball when we start the 50-over tournament against Glamorgan this weekend. I was talking about our group with John Simpson the other day and we agreed that it looks exceptionally tough.
There are no weak teams and no let-up, so I think a lot will depend on how we go in the first couple of games. I think all our main bowlers are going to play and, with the squad we’ve got, there’s no excuse for us not to perform in this competition.
Playing just one format for a while, rather than chopping and changing from one to another, will be a nice change.
It’s never easy when you go from playing a four-day game to trying to hit the bowlers out of the park the following night. This way we have a real chance to sharpen our skills and get some rhythm.
You may also want to watch:
The tournament was always important anyway, but you could say that’s even more the case after our County Championship defeat by Yorkshire at Scarborough this week.
I felt before the game that, at this time of year, falling another 20 points behind Yorkshire would probably mean our title challenge was over, and it’s disappointing that we couldn’t get through the last day and stop them getting the win.
- 1 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 2 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 3 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 4 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 5 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 6 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 7 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 8 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 9 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 10 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
The wicket was doing a lot at the start of the game and a score of 200 would have been par in the first innings, but when we batted Yorkshire used the conditions very well.
I have to give credit to Simmo for his century – with the talent he has, he probably doesn’t make as many runs as he should overall. But this innings and the one against Notts earlier in the season just prove what a good batsman he is.