Middlesex cricket column: Opening Up with Dawid Malan
- Credit: PA Archive/Press Association Images
Captaining a team at Lord’s for the first time when we played the Indians was very enjoyable, even if it was a bit unexpected.
With Morgy in the side, I assumed he’d be leading us out and I was only told that morning that I’d be doing the job. Although we lost the game, it was an awesome experience.
I thought we bowled exceptionally well, but unfortunately the batting was a big disappointment – and that summed up our one-day campaigns really.
Whether it’s been with bat or ball, I don’t think our skills have been good enough for crucial periods in the match.
Jimmy Harris bowled well and could play a part in our next County Championship game against Warwickshire, especially with Finny unavailable.
You may also want to watch:
It was the same with Ollie Rayner – he’s been in the second XI for a bit but he took his opportunity and, with one or two turning wickets at this time of year, I can certainly see him being involved.
It’ll be a massive boost for us to have Sam Robson available again. He’s a great bloke, he’s had an exceptional 12 months and he scores a lot of runs.
- 1 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 2 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 3 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 4 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 5 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 6 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 7 New free map reveals the best walking routes in Hackney and Islington
- 8 Islington: Housing team failed to answer 50% of calls during lockdown
- 9 Sadiq Khan warns of flooding threat to Islington from climate emergency
- 10 Police name Newham man fatally shot in Haringey
The Warwickshire game and the next three are crucial. Although you don’t want to be looking behind you, the fact is that we’re closer to the bottom than the top of the table.
We do need to do well, especially at Lord’s, where we’ve beaten teams earlier in the season – and we have to ease those concerns that may be going through the minds of some people.
Warwickshire have just won the T20 title and they’re also in the 50-over quarter-finals this week – but I don’t think their minds will be wandering when they come to Lord’s.
They’re a good outfit who cover all bases and they’ve still got a chance of winning the championship as well. I can’t see them being distracted from the task in hand.