Middlesex cricket column: Opening Up with Dawid Malan
- Credit: PA Archive/Press Association Images
Captaining a team at Lord’s for the first time when we played the Indians was very enjoyable, even if it was a bit unexpected.
With Morgy in the side, I assumed he’d be leading us out and I was only told that morning that I’d be doing the job. Although we lost the game, it was an awesome experience.
I thought we bowled exceptionally well, but unfortunately the batting was a big disappointment – and that summed up our one-day campaigns really.
Whether it’s been with bat or ball, I don’t think our skills have been good enough for crucial periods in the match.
Jimmy Harris bowled well and could play a part in our next County Championship game against Warwickshire, especially with Finny unavailable.
You may also want to watch:
It was the same with Ollie Rayner – he’s been in the second XI for a bit but he took his opportunity and, with one or two turning wickets at this time of year, I can certainly see him being involved.
It’ll be a massive boost for us to have Sam Robson available again. He’s a great bloke, he’s had an exceptional 12 months and he scores a lot of runs.
- 1 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern
- 2 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 3 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 4 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 5 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 6 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 7 Thunderstorms, heavy rain forecast as Met Office issues yellow warnings
- 8 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 9 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 10 Increased police presence in Islington after teenager shot in the head
The Warwickshire game and the next three are crucial. Although you don’t want to be looking behind you, the fact is that we’re closer to the bottom than the top of the table.
We do need to do well, especially at Lord’s, where we’ve beaten teams earlier in the season – and we have to ease those concerns that may be going through the minds of some people.
Warwickshire have just won the T20 title and they’re also in the 50-over quarter-finals this week – but I don’t think their minds will be wandering when they come to Lord’s.
They’re a good outfit who cover all bases and they’ve still got a chance of winning the championship as well. I can’t see them being distracted from the task in hand.