Middlesex cricket column: Opening Up with Dawid Malan
- Credit: PA Archive/Press Association Images
It’s not quite over yet, but I don’t honestly think Yorkshire can be stopped from winning the County Championship title.
They seem to produce cricketers for fun up there and they’ve been the best team by far. To be honest, they were probably a bit unlucky not to win the title last year.
We’re the only team to have beaten them so far in the Championship and, at that point in the season, you’d have said we had a good chance ourselves.
But this has been the story for the last few years – we start well and fade towards the end of the season. There’s one theory that maybe our one-day performances rub off on our four-day cricket as well.
It can be hard when you keep losing, nobody’s getting enough runs and you begin to doubt yourself. We really have to be competing in the one-day stuff as well if we want to make a strong challenge in the Championship.
You may also want to watch:
Before the Warwickshire game we’d have been fairly happy to walk away with a draw and we ended up matching them well.
It could have been quite different if they’d bowled us out cheaply on day three, but Dexy and Bucky played extremely well and Simmo got a good 50 too.
- 1 Harassment trial: MP Claudia Webbe 'threatened to send naked photos of victim to her kids'
- 2 Two rescued from fire in Islington maisonette block
- 3 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 4 Petrol station forecourts closed in Islington amid warning: 'Drafting in the army will not end fuel crisis'
- 5 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 6 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 7 Aldi Local to open in Dalston next month
- 8 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 9 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 10 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
Then when we got two early wickets in their second innings it might have got interesting. But in the end the wicket was too good – definitely a new-ball wicket.
We started the current game against Durham with the same number of points as them and we’ve both got a game in hand on Lancashire – so I don’t think anyone would be too disappointed with another draw.
Then it’s Somerset and, while they haven’t got a lot to play for, they’re not a team you can write off.
They’ve got a very handy seam attack and I think a lot will depend on what kind of wicket they prepare at Taunton, but either way we’ll be in for a hard game.