Middlesex cricket column: Positive Spin with Ravi Patel
- Credit: PA Archive/Press Association Images
We have a lot of talented young cricketers at Middlesex but because it’s a strong team they often have to bide their time, waiting for a chance.
I know that feeling myself and the good thing is that, if you’ve performed consistently in the second XI for a couple of years, you’re hungry to do well at first-team level.
It’s probably better for a young player to want it that much more, rather than being pushed in too early. We’ve had quite a few coming in over the last couple of weeks and proving what they can do.
Ryan Higgins is a very talented cricketer, an explosive batsman, and it’s good that he’s been able to play his natural game in the Twenty20, while Harry Podmore’s shown what a dangerous bowler he can be as well.
Then there’s Nick Gubbins, who’s been scoring runs in the second XI and carried that on in the County Championship game against Northants. He’s got a good technique, he scored fluently and could probably have gone on to get a hundred.
You may also want to watch:
Next week it’s off to Uxbridge, where we got heavily beaten last season by Warwickshire – and it’s vital that we get off to a good start against Somerset this time.
Uxbridge is the sort of ground where, if you get ahead in the game, you can really drive home your advantage. The flat wicket and fast outfield favour the batsmen, so bowlers have got to be right on the money and work hard as a unit.
- 1 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 2 Islington house prices rise £30k during Covid-19 pandemic year
- 3 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 4 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 5 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 6 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 7 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension
- 8 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 9 Hackney photographer captures lockdown 'park life'
- 10 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
Before that, it’ll be good to play with Adam Voges again at Richmond. He’s such an experienced, multi-dimensional player and he’s great around the dressing room – he helps the youngsters a lot.
Even if we don’t qualify in the Twenty20, all the players have massive pride in playing for Middlesex. There’s still determination to get some results under our belt and show we have the potential to do well further down the line.