Middlesex cricket column: Positive Spin with Ravi Patel
- Credit: PA Archive/Press Association Images
Somehow we just haven’t been able to close games out in the County Championship and it was a similar story against Somerset last week.
It was a good team performance with everyone contributing and, although the Uxbridge pitch was quite flat, the bowlers did really well in the first innings to get us into a position to win the game.
I think losing a session to rain was the key factor – we were behind in the game and because of that and the pitch, we were probably a bit hesitant in declaring on the last day.
With that said, we took four wickets and caused Somerset a few problems. But Nick Compton batted well in both innings and showed plenty of patience, which counts for a lot on that pitch.
Another player who batted with a lot of class was Nick Gubbins – he was unlucky to miss out on a hundred but, judging by the maturity he’s shown, I’m sure it’s going to come soon.
You may also want to watch:
We’re all happy that Sam Robson’s been doing so well for England and, although he left a massive void, Nick’s helped to fill it. That shows the strength in depth we’ve got at the club.
On the subject of England – and speaking as a lower-order batsman – it was great to see the tail doing so well in the Test match against India.
- 1 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 2 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 3 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 4 Harassment trial: MP Claudia Webbe 'threatened to send naked photos of victim to her kids'
- 5 Two rescued from fire in Islington maisonette block
- 6 Petrol station forecourts closed in Islington amid warning: 'Drafting in the army will not end fuel crisis'
- 7 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 8 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 9 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 10 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
Jimmy Anderson’s innings was incredible – England were staring down the barrel and that swung the game back in their favour. Batting like that under pressure, I think he deserved a hundred.
Finally, last Friday was a lovely feeling, picking up a rare Twenty20 win at Hampshire. I thought we played a perfect game in every facet of the match.
We started well with the bat, took wickets in the powerplay and tied them down in the middle of their innings. To do it against a team of their class gives us confidence that we can perform more consistently in those situations next season.