Middlesex cricket column: Steady Line with Toby Roland-Jones
- Credit: Archant
We’re playing good cricket at the moment and it’s nice to feel we’ve got a bit of momentum coming across different formats of the game.
Hopefully we can continue building on that when the one-dayers start next week at Radlett against Hampshire, who we seem to be seeing a lot of at the moment!
It’s always easy to say this, but we do feel we’ve got a good strong squad for the 50-over stuff and a lot of guys who are hungry – particularly young guys pushing for places.
There’s been enough talk over the years about our potential in one-day cricket, so hopefully this is the time when it all comes together and we have a really good campaign.
Radlett’s a nice ground, it’s always a good surface and we’re two wins from two there, so let’s try and make it a hat-trick.
You may also want to watch:
We started well in the T20 at Uxbridge and, while it’s important not to get too carried away, by the same token getting a big total on the board and defending it in the way we did shouldn’t be ignored.
Anyone who was there will say that Dawid Malan went about his innings superbly, from start to finish, and struck the ball so cleanly – and it wasn’t really a huge surprise.
- 1 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 2 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 3 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 4 Islington house prices rise £30k during Covid-19 pandemic year
- 5 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 6 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 7 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 8 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension
- 9 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 10 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern
He’s been in good form for a few years in all formats and he’s always led from the front in one-day cricket, being an opener. I didn’t ever see the captaincy changing that.
An innings like that can really set you up and overall we have to be pleased at the way we performed with both bat and ball.
It was an interesting few days for me, being on a hat-trick twice against Hampshire – in the T20 and then in the first innings of the Championship game at Old Merchant Taylor’s.
That must be quite a rarity but I’m not seeing it as an opportunity missed or anything like that – and at least the second time I bowled the hat-trick ball straight! Fingers crossed there’ll be another chance somewhere down the line.