Middlesex head to Spain for warm-weather training
- Credit: Archant
England fast bowlers Steven Finn and Toby Roland-Jones have been included in a 22-strong group of Middlesex senior and academy players that will jet off to Spain this week for some warm-weather training at the five-star La Manga Club resort.
Finn, who has taken 125 wickets in 36 Tests for England, and Roland-Jones, who has played four Tests for his country, will form part of a six-man senior bowling camp that will undergo nine days’ intensive training under sunny skies in Murcia from February 14-23.
The group will be put through their paces at La Manga Club’s impressive new European Cricket Performance Centre as they continue their preparations for the start of the new season.
And joining them at the resort will be a 16-strong squad of Middlesex academy players, who will spend six days on a separate training camp improving their skills under the watchful eyes of the coaching staff.
Widely-known as the home of cricket in Spain, La Manga Club features an outstanding range of first-class cricket facilities ideal for hosting teams and staging tournaments.
You may also want to watch:
The resort’s European Cricket Performance Centre has been designed to help international teams, counties, schools and colleges, as well as assisting with the development of players and coaches.
Its extensive facilities include six first-class grass pitches and two artificial wickets on two existing grounds, plus 23 grass and five artificial net lanes – all with 25-yard run-ups. In addition, there are also specialist grass fielding, catching and wicket-keeping areas.
- 1 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 2 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 3 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 4 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 5 'Islington drivers – you don't always need to overtake cyclists'
- 6 Council fund boosts plans for Islington 'urban forest'
- 7 Consultation launches on St Peter’s people-friendly streets scheme
- 8 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 9 Jeremy Corbyn joins campaign to protect human right Article 25
- 10 'We will miss you': Tufnell Park's Ruby Violet ice cream parlour to close
Hampshire, Northamptonshire, Glamorgan and Gloucestershire will all stage warm-weather training camps and play a number of warm-up games at the resort next month ahead of the start of the new season, while La Manga Club was also confirmed earlier this month as the host venue for the new European Cricket League, which will launch this summer.
Also the official overseas training base of the Lawn Tennis Association, La Manga Club’s unrivalled other facilities include three 18-hole golf courses, a 28-court tennis centre and a 2,000sqm Wellness Centre. It also offers the choice of a five-star hotel, four-star serviced apartments and more than 15 bars and restaurants.