Cricket: Middlesex’s Sowter hails Sussex rival Wright
- Credit: Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo
Middlesex all-rounder Nathan Sowter paid tribute to Sussex’s Luke Wright after their latest Royal London One-Day Cup loss.
After the visitors had been reduced to 102-5 at Lord’s, Wright clubbed a record 166 from 142 balls and shared 174 with captain Ben Brown to lead Sussex to 298.
Tim Murtagh (3-24) and Sowter (4-48) took the bowling honours for Middlesex, but they were never in the hunt in reply and eventually dismissed for 176.
Sowter said: “Luke Wright’s innings was incredible and took the game away from us really.
“He batted well and earnt the right to do what he did at the end and really put us under the pump.
You may also want to watch:
“If you take Wright’s score out, we are well and truly in that game, but credit to him he played really well. Sometimes that happens on a really good wicket at Lord’s.
“I think we had them 80-4, but that partnership with Brown was the difference.
- 1 Harassment trial: MP Claudia Webbe 'threatened to send naked photos of victim to her kids'
- 2 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 3 Hundreds of activists descend on north London incinerator demanding end to rebuild
- 4 Two rescued from fire in Islington maisonette block
- 6 'I was not jealous': MP Claudia Webbe denies harrasment charge
- 7 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 8 Eidevall says Arsenal put 'pressure on themselves' to deliver in big games
- 9 Islington dog stars in film that will be shown at London Film Festival
- 10 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
“We are in a good position still if we turn up next week against Somerset. They are top of the table I think, so if we can knock them off their perch that would be nice.”