Middlesex v Hampshire: Day one washed out
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Middlesex were left to rue heavy overnight rain as the first day of their Specsavers County Championship Division One clash with Hampshire was abandoned without a ball being bowled due to unfit conditision at Uxbridge Cricket Club.
Heavy rain on Monday evening ran down the slope at the Park Road sports complex and crept under the covers and sheets leaving umpires Graham Lloyd and Russell Evans with little option but to call things off after their second inspection at 11am.
Groundstaff had used heat lamps and a ‘Supersopper’ from the early hours in a bid to improve conditions, but their efforts proved useless in the face of sodden conditions and heavy waterlogging.
But Middlesex head coach Richard Scott remained phlegmatic despite the loss of the entire opening day.
He said: “We’re victims of being on an outground at this time of year. The groundstaff have tried their hardest to keep it dry over the past few days, but we had torrential rain here yesterday and the surrounds and parts of the bowlers’ run-ups have got very wet.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s frustrating, especially when you see other games going on around the country, but we usually come here and the outfield is white and we’ve got a rock-hard pitch.
“We’ll just have to bite the bullet today then hopefully the rain stays away tonight and we’ll have a good go tomorrow.”
- 1 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 2 Islington shooting victim named
- 3 Robert Rinder awarded MBE for his work on Holocaust education
- 4 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 5 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 6 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 7 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 8 Big name restaurant hints at Islington opening
- 9 Murder investigation launched after teenager is shot in Islington
- 10 Man injured in Hornsey Rise shooting