Arteta praises Willock, confirms Arsenal return
- Credit: PA
Mikel Arteta has applauded Joe Willock’s loan spell at Newcastle United ahead of Arsenal’s final Premier League game of the season against Brighton this Sunday.
Willock has scored in each of his last six appearances for Newcastle, including winners against West Ham and Sheffield United as well as late equalisers against Liverpool and Tottenham.
Arteta discussed Willock’s time at Newcastle, saying: “I am really happy that things have gone so well for him because of the potential that Joe has.
"I think it was great for him to go away and have a different experience. He has grabbed that opportunity in a really remarkable and positive way.
“He will be back with us [next season], we will have those conversations with him and plan the next years for him.”
You may also want to watch:
Arteta added: “He got the responsibility and the task to go to Newcastle and help them go where they want. I am telling you that I spoke with the coaching staff, and they are extremely happy because he was a key part of contributing to get the objectives they had, so that is a real positive for him.”
Willock has played an influential role in guiding the Magpies to secure safety since joining them on loan at the start of February, scoring seven goals in 13 appearances and helping them move 14 points clear of the drop zone.
- 1 Upper Street flat attack: Man, 58, stabbed in neck and back
- 2 Launch date for Gordon Ramsay's Upper Street burger chain
- 3 Taylor Cox 'wanted to play pro football until he was stabbed two years ago'
- 4 Hackney and Islington see another rise in Covid-19 cases
- 5 Finsbury Park sex assault: Man arrested on suspicion of rape
- 6 Police investigate alleged Finsbury Park rape
- 7 Survey: Where are the safest and most unsafe where you live?
- 8 Letters: Low Traffic Neighbourhood scheme
- 9 Arsenal offers behind scenes tour of Emirates Stadium at Covid jab pop-up
- 10 Letters: Fighting to keep Wray Crescent Park available to all
He has since become the youngest Premier League player to score in six consecutive Premier league games at 21 years and 272 days.
Willock followed on from 44 appearances with Arsenal last season, mostly off the bench, with an impressive showing in the Europa League group stages earlier this campaign, scoring three goals and providing three assists in four starts.
However, his Premier League appearances with Arsenal were fleeting, seeing just two starts and only 235 minutes of action during the first half of the season before being loaned out.
Willock will be hoping his impressive spell at Newcastle will give him the platform to kick on with his Arsenal career next season.