Mixed day for Islington trio
- Credit: Archant
Islington Boxing Club had a mixed day at the London Development Championships at Feltham’s Springwest Academy on Saturday.
Joshua Strong lost a 3-2 split decision to Northolt’s Hamed Samoun in their under-60kg junior contest, but clubmates Slavisa Gegic and Ella Gilbert both earned wins.
Samoun did not allow Strong to work to his usual pace and, although the Islington youngster rallied to claim the last round it was too late for victory.
Gegic remains unbeaten after a 10th successive win, after his unanimous points success at under-64kg level against Repton’s Saquib Khan.
However, Gegic has been ruled out of the championships after a cut suffered in the quarter-finals on his right eyebrow opened up once again.
You may also want to watch:
The ringside doctor allowed Gegic to carry on but ruled the Islington boxer out for a few weeks after checking him once the contest had finished.
“Slavisa has done well in his first championship and to go down in weight which some including myself didn’t think he’d make,” said Islington’s Reggie Hagland.
- 1 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 2 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 3 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 4 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 5 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 6 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 7 New free map reveals the best walking routes in Hackney and Islington
- 8 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 9 Police name Newham man fatally shot in Haringey
- 10 Stop the Burn: Protest planned against Edmonton incinerator rebuild
“The club were obviously disappointed with him not being able to progress further in the championships as he had a good chance of winning the nationals.
“We will match him accordingly and hopefully he’ll have another shot at the Development Championships next year.”
Gilbert booked her place in the London finals at under-60kg level after defeating former Islington boxer Claudia Wilmot-Smith, who now represents Haringey ABC.
Wilmot-Smith won the opening round as predicted, using her longer reach to keep Gilbert at bay.
But the Islington hopeful stuck to her game plan and came back into the contest to win the second and third rounds with constant punches landing to the head of Wilmot-Smith.
Gilbert’s overall greater fitness was also important as she won a 4-1 decision.