Mo Gharib back on the horse and back on the winning trail
- Credit: Archant
Islington Boxing Club’s Mo Gharib got back to winning ways on Saturday defeating Dennis Wahome of IQ Boxing on an All Stars ABC show held at their gym in Harrow Road.
Both lightweights were eliminated in the preliminary rounds of the London Elite Championships just under two weeks ago and to their credit both were out performing again very quickly when other boxers from clubs, including Islington, have since disappeared.
Their contest was on last and it proved to be a wise decision.
Wahome was stepping up in level and has come a long way since his loss in the London Development Championship finals in October.
But the experienced Gharib showed his class and skill throughout the contest three three-minute rounds.
You may also want to watch:
He was more fluent with his shots and dictated the tempo to take a deserved unanimous verdict victory.
On Friday Scott Smart lost in a close contest against Kerim Agius of Dagenham ABC on a Dagenham ABC home show held at Dagenham & Redbridge Football Club.
- 1 Upper Street flat attack: Man, 58, stabbed in neck and back
- 2 Launch date for Gordon Ramsay's Upper Street burger chain
- 3 Finsbury Park sex assault: Man arrested on suspicion of rape
- 4 Taylor Cox 'wanted to play pro football until he was stabbed two years ago'
- 5 Survey: Where are the safest and most unsafe where you live?
- 6 Hackney and Islington see another rise in Covid-19 cases
- 7 Police investigate alleged Finsbury Park rape
- 8 Arsenal offers behind scenes tour of Emirates Stadium at Covid jab pop-up
- 9 Jeremy Corbyn echoes Iain Duncan Smith's call to review £1.2bn incinerator plans
- 10 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
It was a positive start in the first round for Smart but half-way through he switched off and it went against him.
He upped his work rate in the second before dominating in the third and final round, giving Agius a standing-eight count.
However, two of the three scoring judges saw it differently and went against the Islington man on a split decision.
IBC hope to stage a rematch on their dinner show on Friday, May 12 at Royal National Hotel, Russell Square.