Mo Gharib back on the horse and back on the winning trail
- Credit: Archant
Islington Boxing Club’s Mo Gharib got back to winning ways on Saturday defeating Dennis Wahome of IQ Boxing on an All Stars ABC show held at their gym in Harrow Road.
Both lightweights were eliminated in the preliminary rounds of the London Elite Championships just under two weeks ago and to their credit both were out performing again very quickly when other boxers from clubs, including Islington, have since disappeared.
Their contest was on last and it proved to be a wise decision.
Wahome was stepping up in level and has come a long way since his loss in the London Development Championship finals in October.
But the experienced Gharib showed his class and skill throughout the contest three three-minute rounds.
You may also want to watch:
He was more fluent with his shots and dictated the tempo to take a deserved unanimous verdict victory.
On Friday Scott Smart lost in a close contest against Kerim Agius of Dagenham ABC on a Dagenham ABC home show held at Dagenham & Redbridge Football Club.
- 1 'This is the end of my political career': Richard Watts stands down
- 2 WATCH: Air ambulance called to Islington flat fire
- 3 Islington Council pauses plans to chop down 70-year-old mulberry tree
- 4 Islington mental health charity Clubhouse gets £225,000 funding boost
- 5 Richard Watts to stand down as leader of Islington Council
- 6 Three strikes and you're out: Jail term for drug dealer
- 7 Police force entry to alleged Islington 'house party' amid pandemic
- 8 Meet Islington Boxing Club's new coaches
- 9 The Mall: Mystery surrounds incoming Upper Street supermarket identity
- 10 MP broke rules with late declaration of Islington payments, report finds
It was a positive start in the first round for Smart but half-way through he switched off and it went against him.
He upped his work rate in the second before dominating in the third and final round, giving Agius a standing-eight count.
However, two of the three scoring judges saw it differently and went against the Islington man on a split decision.
IBC hope to stage a rematch on their dinner show on Friday, May 12 at Royal National Hotel, Russell Square.