Mo makes his mark at Highbury Fields parkrun
- Credit: Archant
Mo Ahmed blazed around the five laps on Saturday to clinch his second win in two appearances at Highbury Fields parkrun.
Ahmed, who was also the 5km event’s age-graded winner (74.38 per cent), clocked a time of 17 minutes 26 seconds to hold off Rob Patterson (18:25) and Kai Barron (18:27).
Barron was one of 27 runners to record personal bests on the day, while the spring-like weather conditions attracted 21 newcomers among the century-strong field.
Victoria Haslam knocked a swift 16 seconds off her best time to become women’s champion in 21:40, followed by first-timer Kristina Sandager (22:45) and Lucy Carter, who gained a PB with 22:51.
Chris Orange (21:11) and Danny Olive (19:14) were the second and third age-graded finishers respectively, with the latter chopping a massive 19 seconds off his best time.
You may also want to watch:
Meanwhile, Jessica Vinluan notched up her 50th Highbury parkrun on Saturday, having improved her time by an impressive 4:49 since she started out.
She said: “I used to be embarrassed about running in a group because I thought I wouldn’t be able to keep up, but everyone at Highbury Fields has always been encouraging.
- 1 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 2 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 3 Islington shooting victim named
- 4 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 5 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 6 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 7 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 8 Islington is getting a big name restaurant
- 9 Murder investigation launched after teenager is shot in Islington
- 10 Man injured in Hornsey Rise shooting
“Since I started running here, I’ve had my eye on the red 50th shirt, and I was so excited to see the “50” next to my name on the results page this week.”
Parkrun takes place every Saturday and is open to runners of all ages and abilities, free of charge. Visit www.parkrun.org.uk/highburyfields/ to register or for further information.
The event is run by volunteers and anyone who would like to help out can contact the organisers at firstname.lastname@example.org