Mo makes his mark at Highbury Fields parkrun
- Credit: Archant
Mo Ahmed blazed around the five laps on Saturday to clinch his second win in two appearances at Highbury Fields parkrun.
Ahmed, who was also the 5km event’s age-graded winner (74.38 per cent), clocked a time of 17 minutes 26 seconds to hold off Rob Patterson (18:25) and Kai Barron (18:27).
Barron was one of 27 runners to record personal bests on the day, while the spring-like weather conditions attracted 21 newcomers among the century-strong field.
Victoria Haslam knocked a swift 16 seconds off her best time to become women’s champion in 21:40, followed by first-timer Kristina Sandager (22:45) and Lucy Carter, who gained a PB with 22:51.
Chris Orange (21:11) and Danny Olive (19:14) were the second and third age-graded finishers respectively, with the latter chopping a massive 19 seconds off his best time.
You may also want to watch:
Meanwhile, Jessica Vinluan notched up her 50th Highbury parkrun on Saturday, having improved her time by an impressive 4:49 since she started out.
She said: “I used to be embarrassed about running in a group because I thought I wouldn’t be able to keep up, but everyone at Highbury Fields has always been encouraging.
- 1 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 2 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 3 Council fund boosts plans for Islington 'urban forest'
- 4 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 5 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 6 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 7 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 8 Parliament Square demo: Protesters call on government to end cladding crisis
- 9 'Islington drivers – you don't always need to overtake cyclists'
- 10 Jeremy Corbyn joins campaign to protect human right Article 25
“Since I started running here, I’ve had my eye on the red 50th shirt, and I was so excited to see the “50” next to my name on the results page this week.”
Parkrun takes place every Saturday and is open to runners of all ages and abilities, free of charge. Visit www.parkrun.org.uk/highburyfields/ to register or for further information.
The event is run by volunteers and anyone who would like to help out can contact the organisers at email@example.com