Morgan set for toughest test yet
- Credit: Archant
Ex-Islington amateur in Copper Box action
Former Islington BC captain Aarron Morgan faces the toughest test of his professional career at the Copper Box Arena on Saturday.
Morgan, an ABA and National Elite super-welterweight semi-finalist during his amateur days at the north London club, takes on Southampton’s Joe Pigford on the Queensberry and Mayweather promotion.
And something will have to give as both men go into the bout boasting 12-fight unbeaten records in the paid ranks, with Morgan enjoying eight stoppage wins and Pigford no fewer than 11.
Daniel Dubois, 19, is another ex-Islington amateur named on the bill, with the heavyweight due to face a selected opponent.
You may also want to watch:
Former Times ABC youngster Zak Chelli won his second professional fight on Frank Warren’s Queensberry Promotion at the First Direct Arena in Leeds.
The 19-year-old super-middleweight carried too much punching power for Sheffield’s Chris Dutton, who was dropped by a cluster of head and body punches in the first round.
- 1 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 2 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 3 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 4 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 5 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 6 Hackney photographer captures lockdown 'park life'
- 7 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 8 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 9 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension
- 10 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
Dutton did well to take it into a second round, when Chelli opened up with a stiff left jab and right hook to the head to send his rival crashing to the canvas.
And as Dutton struggled to get to his feet, having injured his ankle, referee Mick Lyson called the fight off after two minutes and 17 seconds.