Mount Carmel girls guide Islington to bronze medal at London Youth Games
- Credit: Archant
Archway student Klaudia Mitiajew guided Islington to a bronze medal on their first appearance at the London Youth Games finals since 2003.
Mitiajew, 13, teamed up with fellow Mount Carmel Catholic College for Girls student Xhesika Bikacu and Sade Opara-Faparusi of Holloway School to beat Kingston before defeat to Hammersmith & Fulham left them in third place.
It was the first time Islington’s girls’ team had even reached the finals at Crystal Palace in 13 years, following the success of the borough’s boys’ team, who were runners-up in 2015.
The girls had been training under the guidance of coach Sanket Shah, who runs Highbury Table Tennis Club, for around six months leading up to the finals.
He said: “The girls played exceptionally well, they’re good learners and they did the job. I hope there will be more table tennis opportunities for girls in Islington.”
You may also want to watch:
Mitiajew also represented Islington in the athletics competition at Crystal Palace, where the boys’ basketball team improved by 22 places on their 2015 showing to secure another bronze medal for the borough.
Overall, Islington claimed six top five finishes – their highest number since 2009 – and rose to 28th place in the Jubilee Trophy standings.
- 1 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 2 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 3 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 4 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 5 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 6 Dog Olympix 2021 raises more than £700 for a water fountain in Whittington Park
- 7 Aristocrat's daughter, 25, died unexpectedly after developing 'severe headache'
- 8 Spectrum to C5: How Clive Sinclair began the UK’s tech revolution from a house in Islington
- 9 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 10 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
Daniel Bank, who supervised the borough’s London Youth Games campaign, said: “We are capable of more and I am confident we can continue to improve.
“I hope it will not be long before we get both the boys and girls to the finals, which would be a great achievement as London has a high standard of table tennis.”
Highbury Table Tennis Club are holding free sessions on Mondays at St Mary Magdalene Academy, Liverpool Road, from 6pm to 8pm.
Call 07886 685 393 or visit www.highburyttclub.co.uk for more information.