Mount Carmel girls win borough tournament with maximum points
- Credit: Archant
Hosts Mount Carmel Catholic College for Girls triumphed in the annual Islington Key Stage 3 rounders tournament with a 100 per cent record.
The Mount Carmel team won all their matches to clinch gold medals, with Highbury Fields taking second place, Holloway third and Elizabeth Garrett Anderson finishing fourth.
That completed a good week for the Archway school, who also had two students – Toni Brown and Klaudia Mitiajew – honoured at the Islington Schools’ Sports Awards.
Brown was named sports leader of the year for her work in that role at several events, including Islington Quadkids, the Ashmount Primary School Sports Day and Islington’s Primary Rounder competition.
The Year 10 student, who is a sprinter with Highgate Harriers, also recently represented the school in table tennis at Arsenal’s Premier League for Sport competition in Birmingham.
You may also want to watch:
Mitiajew, who is in Year 8, won the award for secondary school sportswoman of the year after her efforts to ensure that the borough secured the table tennis bronze medal at the London Youth Games.
The 1500m runner also represented Islington in the athletics competition at the Games.
- 1 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 2 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension
- 3 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 4 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 5 Letters: Low Traffic Neighbourhoods - more points of view
- 6 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 7 'It's crippling us': Islington's theatres and pubs disheartened by lockdown extension
- 8 Cult restaurant Eggslut set to open third London location
- 9 Islington shooting victim named
- 10 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern