Mount Carmel girls win borough tournament with maximum points
- Credit: Archant
Hosts Mount Carmel Catholic College for Girls triumphed in the annual Islington Key Stage 3 rounders tournament with a 100 per cent record.
The Mount Carmel team won all their matches to clinch gold medals, with Highbury Fields taking second place, Holloway third and Elizabeth Garrett Anderson finishing fourth.
That completed a good week for the Archway school, who also had two students – Toni Brown and Klaudia Mitiajew – honoured at the Islington Schools’ Sports Awards.
Brown was named sports leader of the year for her work in that role at several events, including Islington Quadkids, the Ashmount Primary School Sports Day and Islington’s Primary Rounder competition.
The Year 10 student, who is a sprinter with Highgate Harriers, also recently represented the school in table tennis at Arsenal’s Premier League for Sport competition in Birmingham.
You may also want to watch:
Mitiajew, who is in Year 8, won the award for secondary school sportswoman of the year after her efforts to ensure that the borough secured the table tennis bronze medal at the London Youth Games.
The 1500m runner also represented Islington in the athletics competition at the Games.
- 1 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 2 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 3 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 4 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 5 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 6 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 7 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 8 New free map reveals the best walking routes in Hackney and Islington
- 9 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 10 Stop the Burn: Protest planned against Edmonton incinerator rebuild