National Elite Championship run over for Islington’s Lamin Conteh
- Credit: Archant
Lamin Conteh’s run in the National Elite Championship came to an end in the pre-quarter-finals.
The Islington Boxing Club man was up against Jack Rafferty of Centurions ABC at the event at The Dome in Doncaster on Saturday.
And despite the welterweight having successes in a close encounter, it was Rafferty, backed by a large and vocal support, who took the decision.
Islington BC’s manager Reggie Hagland said: “Credit where it is due for Lamin who this season has had 11 bouts at present, entering his first and second championships this season and becoming London Elite Champion on his first attempt.
“We plan to keep him busy right up to the end of the season in early July to build on experience.”
You may also want to watch:
The club still have three boxers left in the competition, with the next stage at the Magda Centre in Rotherham between April 21 nd 23.
Mason Smith (U60kg), Amy Broadhurst (U60kg) and Cherrelle Brown (U64kg) will fly the flag with Smith and Brown, the defending champion, both number one seeds.
- 1 Dangerous driving complaints spur Holloway right-turn bans
- 2 Two new sixth forms planned for Islington and Hackney
- 3 Emirates pop-up Covid-19 vaccine clinic opens for a second time
- 4 More than 1,000 knives surrendered in Islington’s knife bins
- 5 Former Islington BC Slavisa Gegic fighter visits his old club
- 6 Covid-19 cases start to drop off in Islington
- 7 Clapped in the street - and assaulted: Staff call for behaviour change in A&E
- 8 The situation in North London as Arsenal come up against Spurs
- 9 Escape in Islington this weekend: Lovely food and great new shows
- 10 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington