National Elite Championship run over for Islington’s Lamin Conteh
- Credit: Archant
Lamin Conteh’s run in the National Elite Championship came to an end in the pre-quarter-finals.
The Islington Boxing Club man was up against Jack Rafferty of Centurions ABC at the event at The Dome in Doncaster on Saturday.
And despite the welterweight having successes in a close encounter, it was Rafferty, backed by a large and vocal support, who took the decision.
Islington BC’s manager Reggie Hagland said: “Credit where it is due for Lamin who this season has had 11 bouts at present, entering his first and second championships this season and becoming London Elite Champion on his first attempt.
“We plan to keep him busy right up to the end of the season in early July to build on experience.”
You may also want to watch:
The club still have three boxers left in the competition, with the next stage at the Magda Centre in Rotherham between April 21 nd 23.
Mason Smith (U60kg), Amy Broadhurst (U60kg) and Cherrelle Brown (U64kg) will fly the flag with Smith and Brown, the defending champion, both number one seeds.
- 1 Upper Street flat attack: Man, 58, stabbed in neck and back
- 2 Launch date for Gordon Ramsay's Upper Street burger chain
- 3 Finsbury Park sex assault: Man arrested on suspicion of rape
- 4 Taylor Cox 'wanted to play pro football until he was stabbed two years ago'
- 5 Hackney and Islington see another rise in Covid-19 cases
- 6 Survey: Where are the safest and most unsafe where you live?
- 7 Police investigate alleged Finsbury Park rape
- 8 Arsenal offers behind scenes tour of Emirates Stadium at Covid jab pop-up
- 9 Jeremy Corbyn echoes Iain Duncan Smith's call to review £1.2bn incinerator plans
- 10 Arsenal pub Tollington Arms listed 'to prevent it being turned into flats'