National Elite Championship run over for Islington’s Lamin Conteh
- Credit: Archant
Lamin Conteh’s run in the National Elite Championship came to an end in the pre-quarter-finals.
The Islington Boxing Club man was up against Jack Rafferty of Centurions ABC at the event at The Dome in Doncaster on Saturday.
And despite the welterweight having successes in a close encounter, it was Rafferty, backed by a large and vocal support, who took the decision.
Islington BC’s manager Reggie Hagland said: “Credit where it is due for Lamin who this season has had 11 bouts at present, entering his first and second championships this season and becoming London Elite Champion on his first attempt.
“We plan to keep him busy right up to the end of the season in early July to build on experience.”
You may also want to watch:
The club still have three boxers left in the competition, with the next stage at the Magda Centre in Rotherham between April 21 nd 23.
Mason Smith (U60kg), Amy Broadhurst (U60kg) and Cherrelle Brown (U64kg) will fly the flag with Smith and Brown, the defending champion, both number one seeds.
- 1 'This is the end of my political career': Richard Watts stands down
- 2 WATCH: Air ambulance called to Islington flat fire
- 3 Richard Watts to stand down as leader of Islington Council
- 4 Islington mental health charity Clubhouse gets £225,000 funding boost
- 5 Islington Council pauses plans to chop down 70-year-old mulberry tree
- 6 Three strikes and you're out: Jail term for drug dealer
- 7 Police force entry to alleged Islington 'house party' amid pandemic
- 8 Meet Islington Boxing Club's new coaches
- 9 The Mall: Mystery surrounds incoming Upper Street supermarket identity
- 10 MP broke rules with late declaration of Islington payments, report finds