New Camden & Islington Girls League gets under way
The newly-formed Camden & Islington Girls League kicked off on Friday as six teams got the competition up and running at Market Road.
Islington Borough Ladies (Years 1-3) became the first side to win a game in the league after defeating Fusion, while Cally Stars, who were without a fixture of their own, loaned players to both teams.
Two games were also played in the Years 4-6 age group, with Camden Ladies overcoming Islington Magpies and Fusion emerging victorious against FC Brazilianes.
The league, which was set up following a successful series of coaching sessions for girls over the summer, will run every Friday from 5pm – and more players are invited to join.
League co-ordinator Jo Sargent said: “We have more pitches available and, as we continue to expand, we are keen to welcome new teams in all age groups, including older ones as well.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s been great to see a lot of the girls who started in the free summer sessions getting the opportunity to play their first proper match – some of them hadn’t had that before.
“The main point is to get them playing in the same conditions as the boys – timed matches with a referee. It’s nice for them to be able to play against other girls and the more we have playing each week the better.”
- 1 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 2 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 3 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 4 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 5 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 6 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 7 Sadiq Khan warns of flooding threat to Islington from climate emergency
- 8 New free map reveals the best walking routes in Hackney and Islington
- 9 Letters on People Friendly Streets in St Peter's
- 10 Islington: Housing team failed to answer 50% of calls during lockdown
For further information about the new league or to sign up, email firstname.lastname@example.org