New Islington Boxing Club captain claims the cup again
- Credit: Archant
National senior novices champion Jermaine Kelly retained a prestigious trophy – and took on the club captaincy – at Islington BC’s annual awards day.
Kelly, who claimed the cruiserweight title at the end of last year and also captained Islington’s team on their trip to South Africa in February, won the Tom Doherty Sr Memorial Cup for the second year running.
The trophy, awarded to the Hazellville Road club’s most dedicated senior fighter of the year, has been renamed in recognition of Doherty’s hard work for amateur boxing.
Kelly will take over from Aarron Morgan, who retained the A&R Cup for best boxer of the year, as senior club captain, while Ben Turner was reappointed junior captain.
Turner, who won eight of his 11 bouts last season, including victories over three national champions, collected the Colin Webster Shield for best junior boxer.
You may also want to watch:
The club renamed two other awards, with the Gerard Smith Shield – in honour of their hard-working vice-president – going to Paddy McCarthy as most dedicated junior boxer after a successful debut season.
Another debutant, Safi Abdulah, took home the Dony Spiro Cup – named after the sponsor and organiser of Islington’s trip to South Africa – for most improved junior boxer.
- 1 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 2 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 3 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 4 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 5 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 6 Spectrum to C5: How Clive Sinclair began the UK’s tech revolution from a house in Islington
- 7 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 8 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 9 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 10 Council fund boosts plans for Islington 'urban forest'
Jeff Ofori, whose first season ended with a gold medal at the Haringey Box Cup, won the Courtney Fry Cup for best newcomer, while Jack Sinnott collected the Ron Hagland Cup as best club member.
Another Haringey Box Cup gold medallist, Cherrelle Brown, picked up the Terry Emberson Shield as most improved senior boxer.
Christy McCarthy was named as most reliable boxer, retaining the Matchmakers’ Trophy, while the Brian Reegan Memorial Trophy went to Carlos Moreno as best senior club boxer.
Prior to the main awards, attended by more than 150 people, several members of Islington’s junior academy were presented with medals.
Dexter Ashman, Nee Thomas, Asante Jones, Lucy Turner, Chris Ward and Jordan Lotter all won gold, while silver medals went to Jack Boylon and Malachi Pommells.