New Islington Boxing Club captains among winners at annual awards
- Credit: Archant
Islington BC’s new captains were both included on the honours board as the club rounded off the season with their annual awards on Sunday.
Jeff Ofori, who will take over as senior captain for the 2014-15 season, won the Tom Doherty Snr Memorial Cup for most dedicated senior boxer at the Hazellville Road club.
And Christy McCarthy, who becomes junior captain, finished an injury-plagued year on a high note by collecting the Ron Hagland for best club member.
Eight other Islington boxers picked up awards at the ceremony, which was followed by a barbecue attended by 200 club members and guests.
“I am extremely proud of the club’s achievements and all its members,” said chairman Lenny Hagland.
You may also want to watch:
“One of the things we all pride ourselves on – and it is constantly said by many members – is that the club has a real family feel throughout and is a place where lasting friendships are formed.”
Prior to the main awards, gold and silver medals were presented to the club’s junior members who have progressed from the academy to competitive boxing over the course of the past year.
- 1 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 2 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 3 Islington house prices rise £30k during Covid-19 pandemic year
- 4 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 5 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 6 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 7 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 8 Jailed: Businessman bombarded Jeremy Corbyn and other MPs with 'vile' emails
- 9 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 10 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
One of those, Ernie Swinhoe, took home the Courtney Fry Cup for best newcomer after winning four out of five contests in his first season.
Tyrone ‘FuFu’ Negasi, who reached the NABC final in Newcastle – one of three Islington boxers to feature in national finals during the season – was awarded the Terry Emberson Shield.
Alfy Andrews, in his first season at the club, won the Doni Spiro Cup for most improved junior boxer, while the Gerard Smith Shield for most dedicated junior boxer went to Malachi Borrell.
Sherif ‘The Sandman’ Musah became the inaugural winner of the club’s newest award, the Ivan Bersch Memorial Cup for most consistent boxer of the year, with Paddy McCarthy taking the Colin Webster Shield for best junior boxer.
Reece Shagourie, who claimed his first London title and reached the England Boxing national semi-final, was named winner of the A&R Cup for best overall club boxer of the year.
The Brian Regan Memorial Shield for best senior boxer went to Valerian Spicer – whose long season continues as she aims for Commonwealth Games glory with Dominica, along with Islington team-mate Ryan Charles (St Lucia).