New Islington Boxing Club captains among winners at annual awards
- Credit: Archant
Islington BC’s new captains were both included on the honours board as the club rounded off the season with their annual awards on Sunday.
Jeff Ofori, who will take over as senior captain for the 2014-15 season, won the Tom Doherty Snr Memorial Cup for most dedicated senior boxer at the Hazellville Road club.
And Christy McCarthy, who becomes junior captain, finished an injury-plagued year on a high note by collecting the Ron Hagland for best club member.
Eight other Islington boxers picked up awards at the ceremony, which was followed by a barbecue attended by 200 club members and guests.
“I am extremely proud of the club’s achievements and all its members,” said chairman Lenny Hagland.
You may also want to watch:
“One of the things we all pride ourselves on – and it is constantly said by many members – is that the club has a real family feel throughout and is a place where lasting friendships are formed.”
Prior to the main awards, gold and silver medals were presented to the club’s junior members who have progressed from the academy to competitive boxing over the course of the past year.
- 1 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 2 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 3 Council fund boosts plans for Islington 'urban forest'
- 4 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 5 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 6 'Islington drivers – you don't always need to overtake cyclists'
- 7 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 8 Parliament Square demo: Protesters call on government to end cladding crisis
- 9 Aristocrat's daughter, 25, died unexpectedly after developing 'severe headache'
- 10 Consultation launches on St Peter’s people-friendly streets scheme
One of those, Ernie Swinhoe, took home the Courtney Fry Cup for best newcomer after winning four out of five contests in his first season.
Tyrone ‘FuFu’ Negasi, who reached the NABC final in Newcastle – one of three Islington boxers to feature in national finals during the season – was awarded the Terry Emberson Shield.
Alfy Andrews, in his first season at the club, won the Doni Spiro Cup for most improved junior boxer, while the Gerard Smith Shield for most dedicated junior boxer went to Malachi Borrell.
Sherif ‘The Sandman’ Musah became the inaugural winner of the club’s newest award, the Ivan Bersch Memorial Cup for most consistent boxer of the year, with Paddy McCarthy taking the Colin Webster Shield for best junior boxer.
Reece Shagourie, who claimed his first London title and reached the England Boxing national semi-final, was named winner of the A&R Cup for best overall club boxer of the year.
The Brian Regan Memorial Shield for best senior boxer went to Valerian Spicer – whose long season continues as she aims for Commonwealth Games glory with Dominica, along with Islington team-mate Ryan Charles (St Lucia).