New Walking Football sessions in Islington
- Credit: Archant
A new Walking Football initiative was launched at Islington’s Market Road this week.
Walking Football was created in 2011 to keep older players involved in the sport for longer and for those looking for a fun and social way to stay active.
The new weekly session is provided by the London Football Association (LFA) and games are played at a slower pace to reduce the risk of pain, discomfort and injury, with players briskly walking through matches.
Although the sport usually attracts men and women aged 50 or over, the game is accessible to all ages, and can be particularly beneficial to those of a younger age with injuries or health conditions.
Anwar Uddin, Diversity and Campaigns Manager at The Football Supporters Federation, added: “We would encourage anyone to take up walking football as there are so many benefits for people who probably don’t get as much exercise as they used to.
You may also want to watch:
“Playing can improve joint mobility, give you more energy, stronger muscles, increased flexibility, aid weight loss, help with breathing and increase stamina. Most importantly, it will help to form new friendships and restore that feeling of team spirit.”
Walking football sessions at Market Road will be held every Tuesday and Sunday at 10am-11am. There are no match, membership or registration fees, meaning participants can turn up and play as and when they like. Prices start from £3.
- 1 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 2 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 3 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 4 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 5 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 6 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 7 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 8 Stop the Burn: Protest planned against Edmonton incinerator rebuild
- 9 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 10 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
In addition to these new sessions, Arsenal in the Community Walking Football already runs existing sessions in Islington at the Arsenal Hub, 56 Benwell Road, every Sunday (9:45-11am).
Paul Mortimer added: “The London FA, in partnership with PlayFootball, have launched new walking football sessions across the capital to provide more access to the sport for anyone who wants to play.
“Walking football sessions offer football to everyone, and because it involves walking not running, it’s a great way to level the playing field. All you need is a pair of trainers to turn up and play.”
For more information on how to get involved, visit londonfa.com.