Nicely does it despite late call
- Credit: Archant
Islington Boxing Club’s Aaron Nicely picked up an unanimous decision – despite taking the contest with Hillcrest ABC’s Thanos Kastadonis with less than 24 hours notice.
Nicely admitted afterwards that he felt the bout at the London Community Boxing Show, held at Copleston Church, Peckham, was a below average performance but it was still an impressive win.
The light-heavyweight (78kgs) won the first round comfortably, picking his shots and moving around the ring at ease against the Sussex southpaw.
However, in the second round Kastadonis started to pile on the pressure using his physical strength and upping his work rate to not allow Nicely any room to work.
It was all down to the last round which the Islington man won comfortably, thanks to his cleaner punches, fleet-footed movement and overall fitness.
You may also want to watch:
Nicely will be boxing again on Saturday when he travels to Jersey along with a team of 13 boxers from the club as they take on Jersey Leonis in a team match.
Rishon John (age 10, 25kgs) took part in his first skills contest on an All Stars ABC show held at the All Stars gym, Harrow Road on Friday against Yusuf Uddin of Walsall Wood ABC.
- 1 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension
- 2 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 3 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 4 Letters: Low Traffic Neighbourhoods - more points of view
- 5 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 6 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 7 Cult restaurant Eggslut set to open third London location
- 8 Letter: Saving green spaces from development
- 9 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 10 Islington shooting victim named
And junior teammate Harry Betteridge (13, 42kgs) took part in his sixth skills contest on an East London Boxing Academy open show held at the Islamic Community Centre, Walthamstow against home fighter Awais Malik.