North London Women claim T20 Cup title
- Credit: NLCC
A strong North London women's team made hard work of it but eventually triumphed over Actonians to lift the first county silverware of the season in an exciting T20 Cup final on Sunday.
The final of the Esme Irwin T20 Cup was played on a neutral ground at the William Perkin School in Greenford and the Crouch End side was asked to bowl by Actonians.
Excellent opening spells by Olivia d'Souza and Amuruthaa Surenkumar kept the opposition top order bottled up, with Surenkumar the most successful with 4-18 off her allotted four overs.
D'Souza went for just five runs off her four overs without taking a wicket as Actonians made 85-7, but North London's reply stuttered a little with some tight bowling from their rivals and two direct hits from fielders that produced a pair of run outs.
India Whitty steadied the ship in the middle of the innings, top scoring with 27, as the Crouch Enders passed the target for the loss of five wickets with a couple of overs to spare.
You may also want to watch:
Surenkumar was named player of the match and North London chairman Martin Issitt said the club's women and girls section just keeps getting stronger:
"We have had more sign-ups than ever this year to reach record numbers of female cricketers training and playing in competitive leagues. The strength in depth is showing through on the field and we are looking forward to more successes this season," said Issitt.
- 1 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 2 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 3 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 4 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 5 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 6 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 7 New free map reveals the best walking routes in Hackney and Islington
- 8 Islington: Housing team failed to answer 50% of calls during lockdown
- 9 Sadiq Khan warns of flooding threat to Islington from climate emergency
- 10 Police name Newham man fatally shot in Haringey