Cricket: North London women upset Wanstead
- Credit: Archant
North London’s women upset reigning Southern League champions Wanstead with a fine display on Sunday.
The visitors chose to bat first on a warm day in N8 and lost two early wickets to Miranda Cook.
Maia Harris produced a smart run out to make it 45-3, before Maddie Issitt bowled a five-over spell to claim 5-19.
Captain Milly Pope took the last wicket as Wanstead were dismissed for 101, which looked to be below-par.
Harris (69 not out), Emma Williets and Fran Gonta took the attack to Wanstead’s bowlers as the home side raced to an eight-wicket win in the 17th over.
You may also want to watch:
Delighted club captain Sophie Mulcahey said: “It was a really good display from the side, working so hard in the field in the heat, with Maia Harris stepping up to take us over the line.
“We’ve been inconsistent so far, but this group has lots of potential as we saw. There is lots to look forward to over the rest of the summer.”
- 1 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 2 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 3 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 4 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 5 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 6 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 7 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 8 New free map reveals the best walking routes in Hackney and Islington
- 9 Stop the Burn: Protest planned against Edmonton incinerator rebuild
- 10 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother