Cricket: North London women upset Wanstead
- Credit: Archant
North London’s women upset reigning Southern League champions Wanstead with a fine display on Sunday.
The visitors chose to bat first on a warm day in N8 and lost two early wickets to Miranda Cook.
Maia Harris produced a smart run out to make it 45-3, before Maddie Issitt bowled a five-over spell to claim 5-19.
Captain Milly Pope took the last wicket as Wanstead were dismissed for 101, which looked to be below-par.
Harris (69 not out), Emma Williets and Fran Gonta took the attack to Wanstead’s bowlers as the home side raced to an eight-wicket win in the 17th over.
You may also want to watch:
Delighted club captain Sophie Mulcahey said: “It was a really good display from the side, working so hard in the field in the heat, with Maia Harris stepping up to take us over the line.
“We’ve been inconsistent so far, but this group has lots of potential as we saw. There is lots to look forward to over the rest of the summer.”
- 1 Islington shooting victim named
- 2 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 3 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 4 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 5 Big name restaurant hints at Islington opening
- 6 Robert Rinder awarded MBE for his work on Holocaust education
- 7 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 8 Murder investigation launched after teenager is shot in Islington
- 9 Woman, 48, arrested over fatal stabbing of Islington flower seller
- 10 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine