Olympic medallist backs Islington swimming programme
- Credit: Archant
Olympic bronze medallist Cassandra Patten was in Islington this week to encourage more residents to take the plunge at Ironmonger Row Baths.
Patten, who finished third in the 10km open water event at Beijing 2008 and was also a silver medallist at the World Championships, provided some coaching at the Dive In event designed to help members of the public improve their swimming ability.
More than 150 people of all ages and abilities came along to take part in the free sessions organised by Speedo and GLL at the Norman Street centre, which was renovated in 2012.
James McNulty, general manager of both Ironmonger Row Baths and the adjoining Finsbury Leisure Centre, is hopeful that the success of Dive In will help bring more locals to the pool – as well as the many other sports facilities on offer.
He said: “The idea was to increase participation, for local people to come and swim, get some free tuition and get used to being in the pool.
You may also want to watch:
“We have swimming sessions for toddlers all the way up to our oldest member who is over 90, so there really is something for everyone.
“Because we’re not right on the High Street a lot of people may not know we’re here, but we have a wide range of sports across the two centres for them to try.”
- 1 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 2 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 3 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 4 Police looking to speak to man in connection with sexual assault
- 5 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 6 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 7 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 8 'Islington drivers – you don't always need to overtake cyclists'
- 9 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 10 Covid delays Finsbury Park murder suspect's bail hearing
For more information about the facilities and opening times at Ironmonger Row Baths, visit www.better.org.uk/venues/ironmonger-row-baths