Opening Up: Middlesex cricket column with Dawid Malan
- Credit: PA Archive/Press Association Images
Chris Rogers seems to save his very best performances for when we’re in real trouble – and Taunton last week was a classic example.
Buck’s double hundred was an unbelievable innings, one of several that he’s played for the club, and he showed the rest of us what needed to be done.
We weren’t very good on those first two days – we put Somerset in and dropped chances. It’s especially hard when you’re in the field and things don’t go your way.
Almost getting rolled in 30 overs on the second evening certainly didn’t help, but Morgs and Toby showed a lot of fight – their partnership started the recovery and set us up to get a result. That gave everyone the belief that we could bat on that wicket second time around.
There’s no doubt that, after winning four games out of our first six this season, it’s very disappointing to find ourselves in this position – but there are no excuses, we’ve got to get on with it.
You may also want to watch:
Overall, we were expecting a lot more across all formats, especially after the way we started. But as soon as the Twenty20 started we went off the boil.
We’ve got the players to do well – we just need to step up at the right time and this is something that needs to be looked at over the winter.
- 1 Arsenal pub Tollington Arms listed 'to prevent it being turned into flats'
- 2 Disruptions to your journey by car and train around Islington and Hackney
- 3 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 4 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 5 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 6 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 7 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 8 Islington district suffer heavy defeat to Greenwich in Lester Finch Trophy
- 9 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 10 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
From a personal point of view, I’m fairly pleased with the way the season has gone. In general, the white-ball stuff has been fine, and on the red-ball side I’m extremely happy.
After only scoring 380 runs last year, I really needed to have a big season this time – not only for myself but also for the club, who have invested a lot in me.
At the time of writing, we’re sorting out the contract side of things and hopefully there will be some news soon. For now, though, there’s a job still to be done…