Primrose Hill youngsters triumph in cup final at Market Road
- Credit: Archant
Primrose Hill FC head coach Tony Curtis hopes their Under-nines’ Camden & Islington League Development Cup success can pave the way for more silverware.
Samuel Linger scored both goals as Primrose Hill defeated TFA 2-0 in the final at Market Road to secure their first trophy of the season with a 100 per cent record.
The Under-nines are the youngest of 11 teams that the club currently field at Market Road – along with others competing in the Camden & Regent’s Park League.
And Curtis, who has been with the Elsworthy Road-based club for eight years, wants that winning habit to spread through their other age groups as soon as possible.
He said: “I’m pleased that we won and I’m hoping this is just the start – the first of many. We’ve got 500 members, we’re growing and trying to bring our teams up to a standard where they’ll all do well.
You may also want to watch:
“A lot of clubs lose their way when the players are around 13 but we want to have teams competing all the way through and, if players are good enough, we can push them on to the next age group.
“We work solely with the ball – we want to get them passing properly, so they all know how to play. It’s nice to compete and win but it’s also nice to play the game in the right way.”
- 1 Harassment trial: MP Claudia Webbe 'threatened to send naked photos of victim to her kids'
- 2 Two rescued from fire in Islington maisonette block
- 3 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 4 Petrol station forecourts closed in Islington amid warning: 'Drafting in the army will not end fuel crisis'
- 5 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 6 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 7 Aldi Local to open in Dalston next month
- 8 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 9 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 10 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
The club, who hold training sessions on Saturday and Sunday mornings from 9.30am to 12pm, are also keen to start up a girls’ team and anyone interested in playing or coaching should call 07986 985 977.
Camden & Islington League secretary Karen Greene said: “I would like to thank Acerbis UK for giving every team in the league three footballs – which is around 600 in total.
“These are the match balls we use for our tournaments. I’d also like to thank Ben Cooper from the London Trophy Company for sponsoring and supplying the medals and cup.”