Regent’s aim to end jinx in Islington Gazette Cup final
- Credit: Archant
Regent’s FC are determined to halt their cup final hoodoo when they take on K London United for the Islington Gazette Cup on Thursday night.
The Islington Midweek League Premier Division club suffered a 3-2 defeat to Myddleton Arms in last year’s final at Market Road – and went on to fall at the last hurdle in three more cup competitions.
They start as hot favourites against their Division Two opponents – who are contesting their first final after pulling off a shock against league champions Cricklewood Wanderers in the previous round.
“People are still making jokes about what happened last year,” admitted Regent’s boss Des Casey. “We’re happy to be favourites and we’re going into it with a lot of confidence but so will they.
“Hopefully we have enough winners in our team to make sure we get our hands on the trophy this time.”
You may also want to watch:
K London spokesman Jamie Perrin said: “We always field our strongest team in the cups and I think we have a chance.”
- 1 Harassment trial: MP Claudia Webbe 'threatened to send naked photos of victim to her kids'
- 2 Two rescued from fire in Islington maisonette block
- 3 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 4 Petrol station forecourts closed in Islington amid warning: 'Drafting in the army will not end fuel crisis'
- 5 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 6 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 7 Aldi Local to open in Dalston next month
- 8 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 9 Eidevall says Arsenal put 'pressure on themselves' to deliver in big games
- 10 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London