Regent’s aim to end jinx in Islington Gazette Cup final
- Credit: Archant
Regent’s FC are determined to halt their cup final hoodoo when they take on K London United for the Islington Gazette Cup on Thursday night.
The Islington Midweek League Premier Division club suffered a 3-2 defeat to Myddleton Arms in last year’s final at Market Road – and went on to fall at the last hurdle in three more cup competitions.
They start as hot favourites against their Division Two opponents – who are contesting their first final after pulling off a shock against league champions Cricklewood Wanderers in the previous round.
“People are still making jokes about what happened last year,” admitted Regent’s boss Des Casey. “We’re happy to be favourites and we’re going into it with a lot of confidence but so will they.
“Hopefully we have enough winners in our team to make sure we get our hands on the trophy this time.”
You may also want to watch:
K London spokesman Jamie Perrin said: “We always field our strongest team in the cups and I think we have a chance.”
- 1 Islington election hopeful faces trial on intimidation, cocaine and ABH charges
- 2 Police officer hospitalised after Dartmouth Park Hill hit-and-run
- 3 Holloway fire 'caused by unattended chip pan'
- 4 Man wanted in connection with Kings Cross sex assault
- 5 Four teenagers deny murdering 17-year-old Anas Mezenner
- 6 Islington's by-election candidates confirmed
- 7 'Good Samaritan' chased off random attacker who hit woman
- 8 Thornhill School's 'dream' library opens after parents' 'relentless' fundraising efforts
- 9 Can you help identify this man?
- 10 Canonbury landlords defy pandemic to launch new pub