Regent’s aim to end jinx in Islington Gazette Cup final
- Credit: Archant
Regent’s FC are determined to halt their cup final hoodoo when they take on K London United for the Islington Gazette Cup on Thursday night.
The Islington Midweek League Premier Division club suffered a 3-2 defeat to Myddleton Arms in last year’s final at Market Road – and went on to fall at the last hurdle in three more cup competitions.
They start as hot favourites against their Division Two opponents – who are contesting their first final after pulling off a shock against league champions Cricklewood Wanderers in the previous round.
“People are still making jokes about what happened last year,” admitted Regent’s boss Des Casey. “We’re happy to be favourites and we’re going into it with a lot of confidence but so will they.
“Hopefully we have enough winners in our team to make sure we get our hands on the trophy this time.”
You may also want to watch:
K London spokesman Jamie Perrin said: “We always field our strongest team in the cups and I think we have a chance.”
- 1 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 2 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 3 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 4 Islington house prices rise £30k during Covid-19 pandemic year
- 5 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 6 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 7 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 8 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension
- 9 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 10 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern