Romeo plays starring role for Islington & Camden as spoils are shared with Brent
- Credit: Archant
Romeo Akinola netted for Islington & Camden Under-15s as they finally returned to action with a 1-1 draw from league leaders Brent in the Star Shield.
The district side had not played since Christmas due to the persistent wet weather, and they had to contend with windy conditions on the 4G pitch at Capital City Academy, Willesden.
Goalkeeper Edgar Paxi-Cato produced a superb double save to keep the scoresheet blank before Akinola cut in from the right wing, dummied and flicked the ball neatly over his opponent before volleying into the net.
The visitors maintained their lead at half-time and they might have gone further ahead after the restart, but Dylan Bolister’s effort was saved and then Joe White saw a chance go begging.
Paxi-Cato continued to keep Brent at bay, but he was left helpless five minutes from time as slack marking enabled Joshua Mambo to equalise with a free header from a corner.
You may also want to watch:
The home side could have won it late on as Kingsley Eshun struck the post, but I&C – who had a squad of only 12 players – held on for the draw.
Meanwhile, Islington & Camden’s Under-13s went down 5-0 in their game at Brent.
- 1 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 2 Police looking to speak to man in connection with sexual assault
- 3 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 4 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 5 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 6 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 7 Spot the '90s pop stars in the Never Mind the Buzzcocks identity parade
- 8 Home of the metre-long pizza opens in Finsbury Park
- 9 Aristocrat's daughter, 25, died unexpectedly after developing 'severe headache'
- 10 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
The district’s Under-14 side take on the same opponents this Saturday.
Islington & Camden: Paxi-Cato, Brown, Akinola (Central Foundation), Kelly, Price, Osborn (St Mary Magdalene), Chandler, Bolister (St Aloysius), White (Holloway), Miles, Samuel-Clarke, Achille (Acland Burghley).