Ryan reach another final after penalty shoot-out win against Redbridge

Defender Euan Taylor-Reid fired the decisive spot-kick as Ryan Under-17s triumphed in a shoot-out against Redbridge to reach their second successive London County Cup final.

Ryan started well in Sunday’s semi-final, with George Yianni setting up Sadiqur Rahman to score the opener in the third minute, but poor marking allowed Redbridge to equalise midway through the first half.

The tie swung back in Ryan’s favour eight minutes later when EJ Gyebi and Rahman combined to find Robleh Xasan, who cleverly worked the space to make it 2-1.

However, an error from Ryan goalkeeper Zac Gotlieb gifted Redbridge a second equaliser soon afterwards – and they snatched the lead from a corner on the hour mark.

It remained that way until added time, when Gyebi received a pass from midfield, shrugged off a defender and fired home to make it 3-3.

You may also want to watch:

Redbridge had a player sent off in extra time, but there were no further goals and Gotlieb then pulled off a superb save to give his side the advantage in the shoot-out.

Ben Protheroe, Xasan, Yianni and Reuben Hinkson all scored, as did the rest of the Redbridge penalty takers, before Taylor-Reid smashed in the winning kick.

Most Read

Man of the match Nicholas O’Hara was one of six scorers as Lyndhurst Under-11s hammered The Heath 7-0 to stay in touch with the Camden & Islington League leaders.

Harry Ward netted twice for Lyndhurst, while Robert Horn-Marquez, Cameron Saunders, Rees Jones and Frankie Sabine were also on the scoresheet.

An early deflected goal condemned Isledon Wolves Under-15s to defeat in their hard-fought clash with Islington Admiral.

Wolves missed early chances before Admiral counter-attacked and the deflection wrong-footed goalkeeper Brandon Walsh. Jake Mulholland and man of the match Ibs Rashid both went close to equalising, but Admiral held on to seal victory.

Mearga Tesfai and Muhammed Asam both grabbed hat-tricks as Isledon Wolves Channons Under-13s stretched their lead at the top thanks to an 11-0 demolition of Lyndhurst.

Joel Chileshe and Michael Diver both scored twice for the Channons, with Jay Matate completing the scoring.

At the other end, goalkeeper Jamie White-Sanches pulled off two fine saves.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter