Ryder vows to do his talking in the ring after Saunders claim
- Credit: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO
Islington middleweight John Ryder says actions will speak louder than words when he challenges Billy Joe Saunders for the British title next month.
Champion Saunders, who seized the WBO international belt from Gary O’Sullivan last week at Wembley Arena, confidently predicted a comfortable victory when he defends the British crown against Ryder.
But the former Angel ABC star insists he will let his fists give the response to his opponent’s comments when they clash on September 21 at the Copper Box Arena, Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park.
“In stages, Billy Joe looked good against O’Sullivan, but he didn’t seem to have too much to do to beat him,” Ryder told the Gazette.
“I think probably that, although O’Sullivan held the WBO international belt, he was somewhat overrated. He came forward a lot but didn’t really connect that often.
You may also want to watch:
“Billy Joe is obviously hyping up our fight somewhat. Perhaps he needs to do that. I always have and always will leave my talking to what I do in the ring.
“Before I fought Eamonn O’Kane last December [in a British title eliminator], he was calling me out and saying what he was going to do to me. I just let it pass over me and went out and stopped him in the eighth round.
- 1 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 2 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 3 Letters on People Friendly Streets in St Peter's
- 4 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 5 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 6 Sadiq Khan warns of flooding threat to Islington from climate emergency
- 7 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 8 Islington kids are being 'drawn into county lines drug smuggling'
- 9 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 10 Police looking to speak to man in connection with sexual assault
“He hadn’t lost or been stopped before as a professional until he came up against me.
“No doubt we will hear a lot more from Billy Joe as our fight date approaches, but I’ll just be getting on with my work in training.”