Sampson impresses for Sobell in Greece
- Credit: Archant
The latest news from the Sobell Judo Club
Sam Sampson led the way for Sobell Judo Club at the Miyazaki Cup in Greece, returning with two medals in his luggage.
Eight of the club’s members travelled to the city of Thessaloniki for the event, where they took on some of Europe’s best.
Sampson prevailed in the open-weight category despite facing some judokas that were double his size, adding gold to the silver he took at under-83kg.
Silver medals were also collected by Fionn Rowan at under-71kg, Alex Charalambrous at under-66kg and Sasha McClean at under-91kg.
You may also want to watch:
Bronze medals, meanwhile, went the way of Lucian Buleandra at under-79kg, Miker Barton at under-91kg and Hannah Chesham at under-78kg.
Alexis Bardini and para-athlete Karl Summerbell also took part in the event, competing at under-75kg and under-71kg respectively.
- 1 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 2 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 3 Council fund boosts plans for Islington 'urban forest'
- 4 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 5 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 6 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 7 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 8 Parliament Square demo: Protesters call on government to end cladding crisis
- 9 'Islington drivers – you don't always need to overtake cyclists'
- 10 Aristocrat's daughter, 25, died unexpectedly after developing 'severe headache'
All Sobell athletes who travelled to Greece are sure to have taken a lot from the experience and will hope to put that to good use in the coming weeks.