School Sport: Thornhill pupils make a splash
- Credit: Archant
Thornhill Primary were crowned the inaugural champions of the Islington Schools’ year three and four swimming gala last week.
After two sets of qualifiers, a total of 12 schools took part in the final, with pupils competing in freestyle, backstroke and breaststroke, as well as medley and freestyle relays.
And Thornhill finished with a total of 365 points, pipping Canonbury by just four points to land the title.
Grafton were in third place on 236 points, two ahead of St Peter and St Paul’s, and Tufnell Park were fifth with 228 points.
The other competing schools and their points totals were Prior Weston (188), St John’s Highbury Vale (179), Ashmount (171), Ambler (155), St John Evangelist (146), Hanover (85) and Sacred Heart (80).
You may also want to watch:
Daniel Bank, Islington’s community sports officer, said: “There were about 100 passionate parents in the stand at the Ironmonger Row baths and it was significantly noisy.”
- 1 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 2 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 3 Council fund boosts plans for Islington 'urban forest'
- 4 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 5 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 6 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 7 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 8 Parliament Square demo: Protesters call on government to end cladding crisis
- 9 Spectrum to C5: How Clive Sinclair began the UK’s tech revolution from a house in Islington
- 10 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey