St Joan of Arc pupils prove top of class to lift Islington Primary Schools Cup crown
- Credit: Archant
St Joan of Arc pupils were able to celebrate before the half-term break after lifting the Islington Primary School Cup for year three and four children.
More than 100 youngsters from 11 different schools gathered at Market Road to battle it out for top honours in an event organised by the Islington Football Development Partnership.
And St Joan of Arc reeled off five successive wins on the day to claim the silverware in stunning style.
They beat Grafton (3-0), St Peter’s & Paul’s (4-0) and Newington Green (2-0) in Group B to finish top and then saw off Group C winners Hargrave Park (4-1) in the semi-finals.
Meanwhile, Ashmount topped Group A after drawing with Montem (1-1) and beating Duncombe (3-0) and St Jude (3-1) and faced St Peter’s & St Paul’s, who were the best runners-up.
You may also want to watch:
A 3-1 victory sent Ashmount through to the final, but St Joan of Arc claimed a 3-0 success for a memorable triumph.
Islington Football Development Coach Chloe Copsey said: “The quality of football played throughout the day was very high. There were lots of great goals and lots of smiles and happy faces.”
- 1 Islington house prices rise £30k during Covid-19 pandemic year
- 2 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 3 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 4 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 5 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 6 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 7 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 8 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension
- 9 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 10 Tony Eastlake: Man in court over fatal stabbing of Islington flower seller
Group A: Duncombe 0 St Jude 0; Montem 0 St Jude 0; Duncombe 1 Montem 0.
Group B: Newington Green 1 St Peter’s & St Paul’s 1; Newington Green 1 Grafton 1; St Peter’s & St Paul’s 3 Grafton 0.
Group C: Hargrave Park 0 Laycock 1; Sacred Heart 1 Hargrave Park 2; Laycock 1 Sacred Heart 1; Hargrave Park 4 Laycock 1; Sacred Heart 1 Hargrave Park 1; Laycock 0 Sacred Heart 3.