St Joan of Arc pupils prove top of class to lift Islington Primary Schools Cup crown
- Credit: Archant
St Joan of Arc pupils were able to celebrate before the half-term break after lifting the Islington Primary School Cup for year three and four children.
More than 100 youngsters from 11 different schools gathered at Market Road to battle it out for top honours in an event organised by the Islington Football Development Partnership.
And St Joan of Arc reeled off five successive wins on the day to claim the silverware in stunning style.
They beat Grafton (3-0), St Peter’s & Paul’s (4-0) and Newington Green (2-0) in Group B to finish top and then saw off Group C winners Hargrave Park (4-1) in the semi-finals.
Meanwhile, Ashmount topped Group A after drawing with Montem (1-1) and beating Duncombe (3-0) and St Jude (3-1) and faced St Peter’s & St Paul’s, who were the best runners-up.
You may also want to watch:
A 3-1 victory sent Ashmount through to the final, but St Joan of Arc claimed a 3-0 success for a memorable triumph.
Islington Football Development Coach Chloe Copsey said: “The quality of football played throughout the day was very high. There were lots of great goals and lots of smiles and happy faces.”
- 1 Man dies after collapsing in Islington
- 2 Police search for suspects after teen stabbed in the face in the Cally
- 3 Council tax set to rise amid 'hand-to-mouth' Covid-19 government funding
- 4 Student on 'emotional' first day giving Covid jab to NHS workers
- 5 Call for tech donations to tackle digital divide in students
- 6 Hospital staff describe 'distressing' battle against rising Covid cases
- 7 Arsenal Women trio issue apology to team mates following Dubai trip
- 8 E-fit appeal after teen partially blinded in Canonbury Road baton attack
- 9 Corporation Street fight: Boy, 15, stabbed in the face in the Cally
- 10 Two 17-year-olds charged after alleged knifepoint robbery in Highgate
Group A: Duncombe 0 St Jude 0; Montem 0 St Jude 0; Duncombe 1 Montem 0.
Group B: Newington Green 1 St Peter’s & St Paul’s 1; Newington Green 1 Grafton 1; St Peter’s & St Paul’s 3 Grafton 0.
Group C: Hargrave Park 0 Laycock 1; Sacred Heart 1 Hargrave Park 2; Laycock 1 Sacred Heart 1; Hargrave Park 4 Laycock 1; Sacred Heart 1 Hargrave Park 1; Laycock 0 Sacred Heart 3.