St Joan of Arc pupils prove top of class to lift Islington Primary Schools Cup crown
- Credit: Archant
St Joan of Arc pupils were able to celebrate before the half-term break after lifting the Islington Primary School Cup for year three and four children.
More than 100 youngsters from 11 different schools gathered at Market Road to battle it out for top honours in an event organised by the Islington Football Development Partnership.
And St Joan of Arc reeled off five successive wins on the day to claim the silverware in stunning style.
They beat Grafton (3-0), St Peter’s & Paul’s (4-0) and Newington Green (2-0) in Group B to finish top and then saw off Group C winners Hargrave Park (4-1) in the semi-finals.
Meanwhile, Ashmount topped Group A after drawing with Montem (1-1) and beating Duncombe (3-0) and St Jude (3-1) and faced St Peter’s & St Paul’s, who were the best runners-up.
You may also want to watch:
A 3-1 victory sent Ashmount through to the final, but St Joan of Arc claimed a 3-0 success for a memorable triumph.
Islington Football Development Coach Chloe Copsey said: “The quality of football played throughout the day was very high. There were lots of great goals and lots of smiles and happy faces.”
- 1 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 2 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 3 Letters on People Friendly Streets in St Peter's
- 4 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 5 Sadiq Khan warns of flooding threat to Islington from climate emergency
- 6 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 7 Islington kids are being 'drawn into county lines drug smuggling'
- 8 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 9 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 10 Police looking to speak to man in connection with sexual assault
Group A: Duncombe 0 St Jude 0; Montem 0 St Jude 0; Duncombe 1 Montem 0.
Group B: Newington Green 1 St Peter’s & St Paul’s 1; Newington Green 1 Grafton 1; St Peter’s & St Paul’s 3 Grafton 0.
Group C: Hargrave Park 0 Laycock 1; Sacred Heart 1 Hargrave Park 2; Laycock 1 Sacred Heart 1; Hargrave Park 4 Laycock 1; Sacred Heart 1 Hargrave Park 1; Laycock 0 Sacred Heart 3.