St Paul’s Celtic inflict more misery on Regent’s in cup final
- Credit: Archant
St Paul’s Celtic scored twice on the counter-attack to clinch the Islington Midweek League Invitation Cup with a 3-1 win over Regent’s – who continued their losing streak in Market Road finals.
Joe Matthews put Celtic ahead after collecting an inch-perfect pass from Craig Clark and rounding the goalkeeper to score.
However, the night turned sour for Matthews as he, along with Jason Perdicou of Regent’s, was red-carded following a minor incident just before half-time.
Regent’s started the second half strongly, grabbing a deserved equaliser through Alfie Rogers, but Celtic regained the lead when Clark flicked on a goal kick for Mark Doherty to make it 2-1.
Although the Premier Division champions continued to apply pressure, they could not find a way through and Celtic sealed victory with a third goal on the break.
You may also want to watch:
Substitute Stevie Wilson cut inside and exchanged passes with Doherty before chesting the ball down for Clark, who finished neatly.
That completed an unwanted hat-trick for Regent’s, who had already lost to Myddleton Arms in the Islington Gazette Cup final and Cricklewood Wanderers in the Ken Doherty Memorial Trophy final.
- 1 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 2 Islington shooting victim named
- 3 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 4 Robert Rinder awarded MBE for his work on Holocaust education
- 5 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 6 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 7 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 8 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 9 Manor Gardens Welfare Trust CEO awarded British Empire Medal
- 10 Man injured in Hornsey Rise shooting
“Regent’s are a really good team, so to beat them was a great result,” said Celtic manager Paul Kennedy. “Having managed to stay in the Premier Division and won a cup makes it a good season.”
n The Islington Midweek League are looking for new teams (11-a-side) to enter for next season.
The league is fully FA affiliated, with games (6pm and 8pm kick-offs) played on Astroturf at Market Road, which is being refurbished this summer.
Those interested should contact league secretary Steve Kelly on 07940 072 552.