Stephenson brace secures Islington & Camden victory over Brent
- Credit: Archant
Mark Stephenson’s second-half double earned Islington & Camden Under-12s their first win of the new year as they saw off Brent 2-0 at St Aloysius’ College.
I&C lost regular goalkeeper Harry Ward to illness the night before the game, but debutant Elias DaCosta Evert performed well in his absence and fellow newcomer Adeyemi Adewale also caught the eye.
Brent were unable to find a way past Evert, although the home side also drew a blank in a lively first half that produced end-to-end action but still finished scoreless.
However, Adewale – who came on as a substitute after Rafiq Khaleel took a knock on his knee – created the opening goal as he burst down the left flank, eluding three tackles, and whipped a ball into the six-yard box for Stephenson to steer home.
And Islington & Camden doubled their lead soon afterwards when Joe Bentham pierced the visitors’ defence with a through ball for Stephenson to hold off his marker and fire home a right-foot finish.
You may also want to watch:
Brent fought back in the closing stages, but they were largely restricted to hopeful shots from distance as I&C held on for victory.
“That should breed a bit of confidence,” said I&C manager Jim de Garis. “I was really pleased with the squad and especially the debutants – Elias dealt with everything that came his way and Adeyemi showed he’s got real power.”
- 1 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 2 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 3 Islington shooting victim named
- 4 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 5 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 6 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 7 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 8 Woman, 48, arrested over fatal stabbing of Islington flower seller
- 9 Increased police presence in Islington after teenager shot in the head
- 10 Murder investigation launched after teenager is shot in Islington
Islington & Camden: Evert, O’Malley, Farrell, Rincon (St Aloysius), Khaleel (William Ellis), Bentham, Scheinmann (Acland Burghley), Stephenson (IAMS), Julian (Holloway), Litchmore (Hampstead), Williams (Central Foundation), Adewale, Works, Kabongo (Haverstock).
Donville Monroe’s double was not enough for Islington & Camden Under-13s as they eventually went down 8-4 in an exciting clash away to Brent.
Amari Chima (St Aloysius) put I&C in front with his third goal of the season and a superb pass from Jess Norey (City of London Academy Islington) set up Monroe to make it 2-0.
However, Brent’s Felix Amoah pulled a goal back and a 25-yarder by Shammer Swaby brought the home side level before half-time.
Islington & Camden were unable to cope with their hosts’ direct game in the second half and they conceded further goals to Dominic D’Souza and Ghellor Kweme before Nana Aggrey-Adams (Regent High) reduced the deficit.
But Amoah added another three goals as Brent began to pull away, with Drillon Krasniqi also on target for the home side and Monroe netting his second of the game.