Sussex v Middlesex: Five-star Harris still hoping
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Middlesex begin day three of their County Championship Division Two match at Sussex on the back foot, but ont out of the match according to James Harris.
Having dismissed the hosts for 323 at Hove, with Harris taking 5-86, Middlesex reached the close on 64-2 still 29 runs in arrears after their first innings score of 230.
And in-form Harris said: “It’s nice to get another five-for but the day didn’t go to plan for us.
“I had visions of us batting again shortly after lunch but in the end it took until the first ball after tea.
“You have to give their guys credit, they battled hard down the order but we definitely feel we’re still in the game.”
You may also want to watch:
Harry Finch (103) led the way for Sussex, as Hilton Cartwright (3-45) and Tim Murtagh (2-72) took the other wickets to fall.
Middlesex were soon in trouble at 9-2 as Sam Robson and Stevie Eskinazi fell cheaply, but captain Dawid Malan (34 not out) steadied the ship with Nick Gubbins (22 not out).
- 1 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 2 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 3 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 4 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 5 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 6 Spectrum to C5: How Clive Sinclair began the UK’s tech revolution from a house in Islington
- 7 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 8 Dog Olympix 2021 raises more than £700 for a water fountain in Whittington Park
- 9 Aristocrat's daughter, 25, died unexpectedly after developing 'severe headache'
- 10 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
Harris added: “I thought Malan and Gubbins batted really well at the end and once we get in front it’s almost as if any runs count double after that because it’s going to be a tough chase in the last innings.
“The odd ball has kept low and by the fourth day there could be some turn too so we’re not out of it.”