Times ABC teenager defeated in senior championship debut
- Credit: Archant
Times ABC middleweight Yahia Chelli experienced a rude awakening at his first England Elite Championships as he lost out to former Dale Youth clubmate Hamid Sediqy.
Chelli, 19, who won two national junior titles during his time at the west London club, stepped up to the senior championships for the first time on Monday at Hayes Working Men’s Club.
The teenager performed well in the opening round of the North West London final, but ultimately the gap proved too great as Sediqy – 12 years his senior – fought back to take a unanimous decision.
Times head coach Dave Ryan said: “Yahia’s the youngest in that group and it’s his first time in the men’s championship. It’s not easy to get used to that type of power and strength.
“It’s a big step up and particularly hard at middleweight. But he did really well – that’s his first year and I said to him he’ll gain from the experience and go again next time.”
You may also want to watch:
There was better news for Islington BC’s Jeff Ofori, who triumphed in the North West London 64kg final on Monday, securing a unanimous decision against Bobby Woods (Neasden ABC).
However, Islington team-mate Troy Smart was unlucky to miss out in the 56kg final, where the decision went in favour of Joey Teal (Dale Youth).
- 1 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 2 Islington shooting victim named
- 3 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 4 Robert Rinder awarded MBE for his work on Holocaust education
- 5 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 6 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 7 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 8 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 9 Manor Gardens Welfare Trust CEO awarded British Empire Medal
- 10 Woman, 48, arrested over fatal stabbing of Islington flower seller
Islington’s Marlon Kizito beat Frederick Warren of Times by unanimous decision on the St Pancras ABC dinner show, but Ramel Smith lost out on a split decision to home fighter Billy Doran.