Times ABC teenager stuns favourite to win second London title
- Credit: Archant
Times ABC teenager Zak Chelli claimed his second successive England Youth Championships London title by demolishing seven-time champion Jimmy Smith in Sunday’s final.
Chelli, who won the national Under-75kg title last year with Dale Youth ABC, took a step towards repeating that achievement as he overcame his experienced – and previously unbeaten – Repton ABC opponent.
Times head coach Dave Ryan said: “It was a real feather in his cap – one of the best results ever from a Times boy. We couldn’t have asked for any more.”
The 17-year-old – who had coaches Tony Lucas and his father, Zak Sr, in his corner – took control in the second round, making good use of the jab and throwing a series of fast left hooks.
Smith was unable to handle the speed of the Times boxer’s punches and Chelli dug in during the final round, moving well around the ring to seal victory.
You may also want to watch:
However, there was disappointment for Islington BC’s Tyrane Wynter, who was beaten on a controversial split decision by Callum Myles (Fitzroy Lodge) in the Under-56kg London final.
- 1 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 2 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 3 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 4 Police looking to speak to man in connection with sexual assault
- 5 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 6 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 7 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 8 'Islington drivers – you don't always need to overtake cyclists'
- 9 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 10 Covid delays Finsbury Park murder suspect's bail hearing