Times ABC teenager stuns favourite to win second London title
- Credit: Archant
Times ABC teenager Zak Chelli claimed his second successive England Youth Championships London title by demolishing seven-time champion Jimmy Smith in Sunday’s final.
Chelli, who won the national Under-75kg title last year with Dale Youth ABC, took a step towards repeating that achievement as he overcame his experienced – and previously unbeaten – Repton ABC opponent.
Times head coach Dave Ryan said: “It was a real feather in his cap – one of the best results ever from a Times boy. We couldn’t have asked for any more.”
The 17-year-old – who had coaches Tony Lucas and his father, Zak Sr, in his corner – took control in the second round, making good use of the jab and throwing a series of fast left hooks.
Smith was unable to handle the speed of the Times boxer’s punches and Chelli dug in during the final round, moving well around the ring to seal victory.
You may also want to watch:
However, there was disappointment for Islington BC’s Tyrane Wynter, who was beaten on a controversial split decision by Callum Myles (Fitzroy Lodge) in the Under-56kg London final.
- 1 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 2 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 3 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 4 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 5 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension
- 6 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 7 Hackney photographer captures lockdown 'park life'
- 8 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 9 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 10 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series