Triple triumph for Veras Academy at Ilford tournament
- Credit: Archant
Veras Academy scored a hat-trick of medals at the Kaizen Cup in Ilford, with Mette McLarney claiming a silver and a bronze.
After winning the first round of the first kyu Over-17 kata category on flags thanks to a strong performance of karurunfa, Mette lost out on points and had to settle for the bronze medal.
However, the Veras Academy fighter went one better in the first kyu Over-17 kumite category after easing through the first round.
A well-timed chudan gyaku-zuki gave Mette the deciding point in extra-time to take her into the final, but a 3-2 defeat forced her into the silver medal position.
The other medal came from Andrew McLarney, who was the youngest competitor in the first kyu and Over-17 open category, and eased into the final with a brace of 2-0 victories before succumbing to a 2-1 defeat in the final.
You may also want to watch:
Veras Academy hold classes six days a week at venues including Islington, Kilburn and east London. Visit the website at www.verasacademy.co.uk for further information.
- 1 Harassment trial: MP Claudia Webbe 'threatened to send naked photos of victim to her kids'
- 2 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 3 Hundreds of activists descend on north London incinerator demanding end to rebuild
- 4 Two rescued from fire in Islington maisonette block
- 5 Petrol station forecourts closed in Islington amid warning: 'Drafting in the army will not end fuel crisis'
- 6 'I was not jealous': MP Claudia Webbe denies harrasment charge
- 7 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 8 Eidevall says Arsenal put 'pressure on themselves' to deliver in big games
- 9 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 10 Islington dog stars in film that will be shown at London Film Festival