Triple triumph for Veras Academy at Ilford tournament
- Credit: Archant
Veras Academy scored a hat-trick of medals at the Kaizen Cup in Ilford, with Mette McLarney claiming a silver and a bronze.
After winning the first round of the first kyu Over-17 kata category on flags thanks to a strong performance of karurunfa, Mette lost out on points and had to settle for the bronze medal.
However, the Veras Academy fighter went one better in the first kyu Over-17 kumite category after easing through the first round.
A well-timed chudan gyaku-zuki gave Mette the deciding point in extra-time to take her into the final, but a 3-2 defeat forced her into the silver medal position.
The other medal came from Andrew McLarney, who was the youngest competitor in the first kyu and Over-17 open category, and eased into the final with a brace of 2-0 victories before succumbing to a 2-1 defeat in the final.
You may also want to watch:
Veras Academy hold classes six days a week at venues including Islington, Kilburn and east London. Visit the website at www.verasacademy.co.uk for further information.
- 1 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 2 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 3 Islington shooting victim named
- 4 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 5 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 6 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 7 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 8 Islington is getting a big name restaurant
- 9 Murder investigation launched after teenager is shot in Islington
- 10 Man injured in Hornsey Rise shooting